FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yattix View Post
    How did you find the fit in general - did you size up? Did they shrink much after the first wash?
    I normally hover somewhere between a (tight) 34" and a (baggy) 36". With Uniqlo's sizing I was a 34" and they fit like a glove. It's worth saying that another great thing about these jeans is that the sizes go up in 1" increments so you can get a pair that fit really well.

Despite being 6ft 2 I needed the short in these trousers. Either I have a weirdly misshaped body or they're generous in the leg to allow for the free tailoring to be done. Either way I'm going to take them back and try for the alteration.

I haven't washed them yet so can't comment on shrinkage. Hopefully they'll tighten up a little.

Trend Setter
    Right, thanks guys - reckon I'm going to spring for a pair today!

Glad to hear the fit isn't too skinny actually - I have pretty big quads and my 501s are getting uncomfortable as a result
    Sounds like me, the only jeans I have right now that I like (most of) the fit of are my 501s, but like you, they're a tiny bit tight around the thighs (plus a tiny bit too wide at the bottom, for me).

So I'd be interested how you find the Uniqlos.
    Please can you post on how you find them once you get them/worn them in?

Mind you, at 35... I should just get my arse to the store and try a few pairs!!

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Sounds like me, the only jeans I have right now that I like (most of) the fit of are my 501s, but like you, they're a tiny bit tight around the thighs (plus a tiny bit too wide at the bottom, for me).

So I'd be interested how you find the Uniqlos.
    Please can you post on how you find them once you get them/worn them in?

Mind you, at 35... I should just get my arse to the store and try a few pairs!!
    Have you tried 511s? I have a black pair and they're slimmer in the leg by quite a bit (although not 'skinny'). The good thing about them is that they have elastane in them so they stretch around the thigh/crotch.

I don't have a Uniqlo store near me, sadly. They should be arriving today though so I'll post my thoughts and perhaps a pic.

Trend Setter
    Yeah I have 511s in grey, at the right waist (32, for me), which fit nice round the waist, bum and thighs (could do with a slight take up, and if ultra-fussy, marginally too skinny at the bottom.
    if anything they're a little too soft! I feel like I can only go casual in them, can't tuck anything into them for e.g. But maybe that's me being paranoid about the fit.
    When I first got them, I loved them so much, I tried on a sandy-yellow pair in the same size...totally different material! not as nice and comfortable and soft and elastene. Couldn't get the 32s on, even! had to get a 34, which I now know was a cardinal sin (and a waste of cash), cos the waist is too big (though all else is good). I'm waiting for my local tailor to get back from hols, to see if there's any magic he can work on a pair of jeans 1 size too big in the waist, but I'm not hopeful.

I'm on the elusive hunt for perfect fitting jeans. Would be over the moon if any of the uniqlo (slim or regular) jeans do the job, since my disposable income is a lot less than it usually is for the next couple of years!

Des

Style Icon
    The black 511s are my fave ever jeans, so much so that I ordered another two pairs in different blues. They were rubbish (for me).
    Coarser denim, tight crotch and waist, narrower hems..
    The Uniqlo Slim and Skinny jeans are great beater jeans with the slim probably being able to suit a lot of body shapes. The rise is a bit high for my liking.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    The black 511s are my fave ever jeans, so much so that I ordered another two pairs in different blues. They were rubbish (for me).
    Coarser denim, tight crotch and waist, narrower hems..
    The Uniqlo Slim and Skinny jeans are great beater jeans with the slim probably being able to suit a lot of body shapes. The rise is a bit high for my liking.
    Thanks for this - I was thinking of picking up some more 511s in different colours, but I might not bother now!

Des

Style Icon
    Thanks for this - I was thinking of picking up some more 511s in different colours, but I might not bother now!
    No by all means give more a try as they might even fit better for you. My ones are just as the ones below. The rise, straight leg and opening are all perfect for me. Perhaps a little conventional for most but the style has seen me through when I want to take a break from distressing the raws.
    But you type in "511" into the ASOS search bar and you can see how the fit differs from each colour despite being the same model jeans.

Trend Setter
    FYI- I tried on 2 pairs of 511s today, 1 in mid/light blue, 1 in black, 32/32s, fit perfectly except probably have them taken up an inch.
    I expect I'll them both... just a question of what footwear/tops go with them for different occasions! (but that's for me to start a different thread, no doubt)

Fashionisto
    Well, the Uniqlo selvedge arrived, and...

Don't fit!!

The quality is excellent, but they were really tight around the upper thigh/crotch, had a bizarrely low rise (came half way up my butt) and the waist (I got a 34 as I'm usually a 33 and expected them to shrink) was massive.

So, yeah. I'm disappointed, but YMMV.

Back they go!

Trend Setter
    That's a shame.
    I didn't realise just how much of a ballache it is to find 'the perfect jean'!!

I did look at the Uniqlos again online after someone mentioned the low-rise'ness of them, and could see they'd be too low for me.
    I don't feel at all comfortable with sort of cut
    If I had my way I'd have the rise halfway up my back! ...but I know how disgusting high-rise looks.
    I settle for 'on top of the hip bone', the perfect compromise.

I didn't get the 511s yet. having 2nd thoughts. I don't know whether it's just the colours I've got/looked at, but each colour seems to have a different mix of materials, and none of them are (anywhere near) as thick as real denim. Though that said, I've not felt any actual blue-denim coloured 511s.
    I still think there'll be an element of elastene in there somewhere.

For me I'm going down the route of see if I can get my 501s tailored. The only things I'm not over keen on on the 501s is the width from the knee down, everything is spot on for me.
    I discovered a local tailor to me, called them this week but he's shut for holidays, back next week, so I'm gonna call and hope and pray that he's a magician with denim, and can slightly taper the legs on my 501s, and then I might have 'the perfect jean'.

If he's good I'll get my 511s tapered a bit more too.

Hey ho, I'm sure it will be worth it in the end!

Good luck in your quest...wherever it takes you!

+ Reply to Thread