FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Uniqlo Selvedge Jeans

Hi all,

Two questions really:

1) what is the attraction/benefit of selvedge denim? Everything I read basically says it's thick, uncomfortable (at first), will shrink etc.

2) If I was to take the plunge, would Uniqlo's selvedge jeans be a good safe starting point?

Cheers!

Fashionisto
    Think you're confusing Selvedge for Raw Denim; ”Raw denim” refers to the wash (or lack thereof) while “Selvedge” is the stitching method on the edge of the jean (better quality, will last a lot longer!)

The Uniqlo ones look pretty decent for the price!

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yattix View Post
    Hi all,

Two questions really:

1) what is the attraction/benefit of selvedge denim? Everything I read basically says it's thick, uncomfortable (at first), will shrink etc.

2) If I was to take the plunge, would Uniqlo's selvedge jeans be a good safe starting point?

Cheers!
    I bought a pair from Uniqlo last week (wearing them right now). You want the Selvedge because everyone on FB raves about it and you won't fit in otherwise.

I jest but I really have no idea - the fabric feels awesome soft. I think it's something to do with the finish of the denim.

Re the Uniqlo jeans specifically, for 35 the pair I bought were an absolute bargain. The fabric is great and you just get this feeling that they're a really well put together item of clothing. The quality of the stitching, zips and pockets is really very good; plus you get free tailoring if they need adjusting. My only gripe really is that they're a little less fitted than I might have liked.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRhysSmith View Post
    Selvedge” is the stitching method on the edge of the jean (better quality, will last a lot longer!)
    While I think that selvedge stitching looks better and is certainly a tidier finish, I can't ever recall having a pair of jeans that fell apart at the seams.

Style Icon
    The selvedge is more supposed to be a mark of better quality denim woven on narrow looms rather than being better just because the seam will last longer... as Dorian says, that doesn't tend to be the bit which goes first.
    Photographic exploits: http://ow.ly/su7Io

Musical proclivities: http://ow.ly/su7Ju

Assorted twitterings: http://ow.ly/su7Nb

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by naturals View Post
    I bought a pair from Uniqlo last week (wearing them right now). You want the Selvedge because everyone on FB raves about it and you won't fit in otherwise.

I jest but I really have no idea - the fabric feels awesome soft. I think it's something to do with the finish of the denim.

Re the Uniqlo jeans specifically, for 35 the pair I bought were an absolute bargain. The fabric is great and you just get this feeling that they're a really well put together item of clothing. The quality of the stitching, zips and pockets is really very good; plus you get free tailoring if they need adjusting. My only gripe really is that they're a little less fitted than I might have liked.
    How did you find the fit in general - did you size up? Did they shrink much after the first wash?

Fashionisto
    I have a pair of these as well, and concur with the other sentiments about the quality and stitching.

Fit wise, the ones I got were slim/straight leg, and I really like the fit for me -as I have larger thighs from cycling though (normally take a 31" in their normal vintage chino cut but sized up to a 32" on the jeans for a bit more room in the thighs.

If your on the slimmer side, note these do not fit like topshop style skinny fit jeans.

Try them on in-store.

Style Icon
    I personally haven't got a clue abut the technicalities of selvedge, but all I can say is that all of my jeans with the exception of 1 pair are now uniqlo. Their material is fantastic, the colour holds very well in the wash (my black ones came out still looking new with barely any ink bleed) and the skinny taper cut is absolutely perfect. For 36 and FREE leg shortening tailoring service while you wait in store, it's a total no brainer.

I had to size up on the Uniqlo jeans too. Normally a 30" waist but because they are a fairly low rise I needed a 31" to even get them up round my arse. They fit my sturdy legs pretty well, slim without being tight. Lovely soft denim, though, and really happy with them for 35.

Now I need to save my pennies and get something with a more traditional rise.

Fashionisto
    Right, thanks guys - reckon I'm going to spring for a pair today!

Glad to hear the fit isn't too skinny actually - I have pretty big quads and my 501s are getting uncomfortable as a result

+ Reply to Thread