FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

simple tailoring - shirt darts

I bought a few of ASOS oxford shirts a couple of months back and they were a great fit in medium. I am 38-40 chest, 32" waist, and the slim cut of the shirt was perfect.

I recently bought another, and it was a completely different fit - too baggy in the in the waist/middle.

Comparing the shirts, the nice fitting ones that I had bought previously have 2x darts in the back to structure the lines, while the newer one did not.

Instead of sending it back I am thinking of twoc'ing the lasses sewing kit and putting in some darts - youtube and the internet are full of guides on how to do this - but has anybody here tried?

Any pearls of wisdom will be muchly appreciated.

Trend Setter
    I honestly wouldn't do this without a sewing machine and a lot of patience. Darts seem like a simple stitch, but you have to be perfectly straight with them the first time or you risk ruining your shirt. If you're intent on going the DIY route, definitely invest in an inexpensive sewing machine and practice several times on shirts you don't care about. But honestly this is probably cheap enough to get done at a tailor that I would just do that in the first place.

A much better way to go would be to take the shirt in at the sides-- put it on inside out, pin the excess material on the sides, and sew along that line. Flip the shirt back right side out and you're good to go. A lot easier and a lot more room to hide any slight errors. Again though, you're going to want to use a machine.

Trend Setter
    Thanks Antonymism,

I have a few shirts to chuck, so I will have a try with those first.

I looked into buying a sewing machine off eBay, but even cheap one is .

+ Reply to Thread