FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Staying fashionable whilst comfortable

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you face the same predicament as me. On certain days, I need to spend long hours in my library as part of my final year in university completing assignments and revising. I am fashion conscious , but find that sometimes its a compromise between wanting to look good or feel comfortable. For the most part, the hoody sweatpants look is tacky and I feel is almost looks uniform in a college library. On the other side, my smart casual wardrobe whilst looking quite good, is a nightmare to spend a whole day in a library in.

How to compromise?

Trend Setter
    Well fitting jeans with a bit of stretch are as comfortable as most sweatpants, and what can be sweeter next to the skin than merino wool?

Des

Style Icon
    The uniform looks tacky because
    a) Students don't know how to do laundry so clothes come out faded and shapless
    b) Nobody over aged 16 should have the letters "JW" anywhere near their body

Sweats and joggers have evolved and there are ways to make leisurewear look half decent. The Sunspel sweatshirts actually look quality, the OL Great Sweat is a classic and distresses the right way. Pair with some rolled up chinos and you're laughing.
    Also COS do a really nice Mesh sweatshirt which is different.
    Get some slim joggers. I practically live in Nike Tech Fleece ones, which dont fade and keep their shape. I think COS and Zara do similar shaped ones.

Seriously though I don't mean to sound patronising, but you have a few months left before you really have to start making an impression. So relax about the style.

Nat

Style Icon
    Sweatshirts are a good shout. The problem will be your bottoms. I find sitting any length of time in very slim trousers to be quite uncomfortable. Something with some stretch could work. Our just relax the fit a bit.

Fashionisto
    Seconded on sweatshirts. I bought one (my first one since I was a child) from Mango and I live in it on weekends. Just chuck it on and it's so comfy, but without looking slovenly.

This time last year (before my style revolution) I would be wearing a hoody, looking like I was in fancy dress as a Kevin the Teenager.

Trend Setter
    Thank you gentlemen, great input from FB crew as always

+ Reply to Thread