FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    JEK

Trend Setter

Tie or bow-tie?

I'm going to a prom later this month and I'm a bit unsure whether I should wear a tie or a bow-tie. I will be wearing a dark navy suit with notch lapels and a white shirt. I don't want to look like I'm trying to turn my suit into a tux, so definitely not a black silk bow-tie, but what about one of another colour and texture? Or should i just stick with a tie?

Hope you guys can help me out.

Oh, by the way... Single or double cuff?
    Last edited by JEK; 07-04-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Regards
    Johan

Fashionisto
    Could we get a picture of you in the suit, would be easier to give an answer. Though, straight from my head, I say you could not go wrong with a navy knitted tie (or perhaps one in burned orange or burgundy). Same colour apply for the bow tie, also, I think knitted bow ties look great, Reiss has one that i just love, I think its the Dexter bow tie, not sure though.

JEK

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by miha360 View Post
    Could we get a picture of you in the suit, would be easier to give an answer. Though, straight from my head, I say you could not go wrong with a navy knitted tie (or perhaps one in burned orange or burgundy). Same colour apply for the bow tie, also, I think knitted bow ties look great, Reiss has one that i just love, I think its the Dexter bow tie, not sure though.
    Sorry, the suit is at the tailor for some alterations, so I can't take any pictures right now. It's just a regular hugo boss suit in wool. The colour is very dark navy - almost black.

I'm leaning more and more towards a bow-tie, probably in navy. I think i will wear a pocket tie as well. Should i stick with white or choose one with some colour/pattern?
    Regards
    Johan

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    Sorry, the suit is at the tailor for some alterations, so I can't take any pictures right now. It's just a regular hugo boss suit in wool. The colour is very dark navy - almost black.

I'm leaning more and more towards a bow-tie, probably in navy. I think i will wear a pocket tie as well. Should i stick with white or choose one with some colour/pattern?
    I think you shoul wear a patterned pocket tie, but in blue also, or in orange, that way it really sets itself apart from the outfit.
    Asos has a great knitted bow tie in navy, for like 8 pounds i think, been eyeing it for a while

Texture

I think a knitted silk tie would well.

Or burgundy

Then try and get a pocket square.

Hope they help.

JEK

Trend Setter
    So I've been browsing a bit on mrsbowtie.com and I found a few that I liked.

Midnight blue roses: Midnight Blue Roses Self Tie - Mrs Bow Tie
    Grey linen effect: Grey Linen Effect Self-Tie - Mrs Bow Tie
    Cream dots on airforce blue: Cream Spots on Airforce Blue Self-Tie - Mrs Bow Tie
    Silver speckles on black: Silver Speckles on Black - Mrs Bow Tie
    Electric blue diamonds: Electric Blue Diamonds - Mrs Bow Tie

Which one of those would you choose?
    Regards
    Johan

Fashionisto
    The first one looks very onetersting to me.
    How about this one, if you´re a bit braver (since its got an nice pattern): Blue Paisley - Mrs Bow Tie

JEK

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by miha360 View Post
    The first one looks very onetersting to me.
    How about this one, if you´re a bit braver (since its got an nice pattern): Blue Paisley - Mrs Bow Tie
    Looks good, but I would prefer one that comes in self-tie. Do you have a suggestion on a pocket square that could go with the midnight blue roses bow tie?
    Regards
    Johan

Fashionisto

JEK

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I quote like this combo, although I'm not sure if brown is appropriate for a prom?
    Cream Spots on Coffee Self Tie - Mrs Bow Tie
    Brown with Turquoise Lozenge Pocket Square - Mrs Bow Tie
    Regards
    Johan

+ Reply to Thread