FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    ICA

Flatcaps?

I spotted these flatcaps in a shop the other day...

I've always been quite a fan of them traditionally, but I have felt like they are a bit played out now and don't really go with my style...

However I do like wearing a hat, but find options limited (beanies only pretty much, which get too hot) and these are rather nice and suited pretty well.

So my question is: What do you all think of flatcaps and how they fit into the current sartorial paradigm? Is there any room for them or are they totally at odds with the minimal futurism that is dominating post-heritage menswear?

Also, post some good fits with them, if you think such a thing exists. I know that Beckham bloke is quite adept at making them work...

Trend Setter
    Im not sure what "the minimal futurism that is dominating post-heritage menswear" actually is, so im going to assume for now its the popular style of black jeans, white t-shirts and black or grey tops thats popular amongst many of the common posters here.

The photos you've posted i think would clash with that particular look, especially as they appear to be a mash of two hats (one checked stitched to a plain one). Maybe a basic, plain all black or all grey flatcap would work better?

Heres a couple og photos of what i mean (roughly):

GREY:
    Fjallraven | Fjallraven Forest Flat Cap at ASOS

BLACK:
    Ted Baker | Ted Baker Herringbone Flat Cap at ASOS

DARK BROWN:
    Leather Flat cap

The last one appears to be in a leather finish, maybe imagine that in dark brown material instead of leather (unless you like it in leather).

As for them being "played out", i don't think is such a thing with certain items. The item either looks good or it doesn't. Items like jeans have been around for years, yet no one would say they are "played out". I think making a flatcap suit your style, is to go with a plain simple one perhaps.

Apologies if ive made a wrong assumption of the style your trying to wear this hat with, and for waisting your time with irrelevent nonsense! lol

Trend Setter
    I only really like the duckbill shaped ones - I've not built up the courage to wear one myself yet, I don't often wear hats so it would be an annoying talking point amongst my mates!

Trend Setter
    Fungily enough , some retailer or another sent me a mail a couple of days ago, including a new flat cap they were flaunting, and I really liked it a lot, and considered purchasing it on a whim.

Personally I think you do have to be mindful on what styles you wear it with, but with the 'less casual' of your preferred stylings I think it would fit in nicely.
    I think a key factor is the coat you're wearing. if you was all caszh (sneakers, skinnies, whatever-top) with a wool overcoat (for example), then you're laughing. but the same outfit with a bomber, then leave the flatcap off. for me, anyway.
    that said, maybe with the right leather bomber, who knows

aaah, I think it's got to be down to each individual outfit combo choice.

in terms of current sartorial paradigm, I think you have your own one going on, and a flatcap would fit in a lot of what you wear in general, you could work it in lots of ways.
    just be mindful of the chav-implications if all items in your outfit are proper cazsh (plus a flatcap)

Happy Friday (all)!

ICA

@Lee No time waste at all, appreciate the input.

Yeah I'm talking about wearing one with my style pretty much, so not quite as basic as the uniform you mention but not far off I suppose.

Tbh the mix of textures of the ones I posted was what I liked about them, along with the fact that when I tried them on they just fitted really nicely, which is a difficult quality to find in a hat. I'd never buy online without trying.

Your jeans analogy is perhaps a bit reductive, it would be more apposite to liken to a specific style of jean, such as boot cut or skinny. Boot cut is heavily played out, whereas skinny is still very much de rigeur. I feel flatcaps may fall closer to the boot cut mark.

I dunno though, I know it shouldn't matter but they just aren't on trend, which is probably what's putting me off. Would be interesting to see some styled well though to change my mind.

Cheers for input OMA & Steve, appeared after I wrote my long ass post lol. I've still got a couple of old ones at the back of the wardrobe, maybe I should dig one out and give it a go. You're right in saying that it would look good with an overcoat, maybe a little cliche tho.
    Last edited by ICA; 05-02-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Trend Setter
    Well, my style is very different to your own ICA - so i may not be the best person to ask, or have placed his input in! lol.

As for the two caps you posted photos of, id be tempted to say go with the black and black check one. I think the brown and green tweed cap has far too much contrast for one item.

As you've got some old ones at home, maybe posting a picture of the cap with the type of outfit you think you'd wear it with would help give people a better idea of the total look your aiming for - and people would be able to give more accurate feedback. Maybe a couple of photos with the same outfit but different jackets/coats. It could look alright with the right blazer or shearling jacket... not so sure on the over coat combo if im honest. I also like the idea of a flatcap, but i know it wouldn't suit any of the clothes/style i wear. But i imagine you may have more success on this front.

I wear just a plain navy flatcap with a navy mac.i think it looks the business!

Trend Setter
    Actually, i think i saw an OK flatcap outfit:

http://blog.trashness.com/wp-content...h_DSC_0220.jpg

No guarantee anyone else will like it though, lol.

Trend Setter
    the minimal futurism that is dominating post-heritage menswear?

the who what when now?

I quite like them and have one of these https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1546..._home_active_1

it is a bit hipster, but fuck it, who gives a toss

ICA

Sorry for getting loquacious, Friday hype.

+ Reply to Thread