FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Wedding attire, help needed!

I've got a friend's wedding coming up, really stuck with what to wear.

I don't currently own a suit, I really don't have much need for one - I'm not against buying one, but don't want to spend loads since it won't get much wear. Any suggestions where to get a half way decent suit that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Initially I was thinking about buying separates, but get the impression this could be kind of tricky to pull off. I'm totally open to suggestions though.

FashionBeans Legend
    If it's something you're not going to wear a lot, want it at a decent price, don't want to spend much on alterations but still want to look sharp AF, you seriously can't beat Zara.

I'd advise going in & trying them on if you can - the sizings can be a bit odd, but you can buy the trousers and blazers in whatever size suits.. ie., mix & match to suit yourself.

Style Icon
    I forgot about Zara, good shout. I've just had a quick look on the website, looks like there's some decent stuff. Cheers.

Is black ok for a wedding? So long as I add a bit of colour with a tie?

Trend Setter
    Depends on a lot of things: dress code, venue, time of day etc

Trend Setter
    Yeah Zara's a good shout, when I was in there yesterday it looked like most of their smart/tailoring stuff was still on sale

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSunKing View Post
    Depends on a lot of things: dress code, venue, time of day etc
    No mention of dress code, so I'll presume it is pretty standard. Venue is a stately home, I'll be there for the whole day/night.

I'm just trying to come up with ways to look a bit different without sticking out. I really struggle with smart stuff because I live in jeans, leather jackets and boots.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
    No mention of dress code, so I'll presume it is pretty standard. Venue is a stately home, I'll be there for the whole day/night.

I'm just trying to come up with ways to look a bit different without sticking out. I really struggle with smart stuff because I live in jeans, leather jackets and boots.
    Easiest way to stand out is swap the tie for a black bow tie. Also maybe throw in a pocket square if you're feeling adventurous. As DG mentioned, Zara is a great start if you don't want to spend much

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
    I forgot about Zara, good shout. I've just had a quick look on the website, looks like there's some decent stuff. Cheers.

Is black ok for a wedding? So long as I add a bit of colour with a tie?
    I would avoid wearing a black suit myself. It works as evening wear but rarely flatters in the day. Dark navy blues and dark greys (even almost blacks) tend to lend just a little more life to the suit and your complexion for day suits.

If possible I'd also go for a suit with some slight variation in it - whether in pattern (stripe/herringbone/fleck/pick-and-pick/birds-eye) or texture. They tend to look more expensive and entirely flat, unpatterned worsted suits and will prove more versatile.

Style Icon
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll look for something in a dark grey, not really feeling navy.

+ Reply to Thread