FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Style Icon
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    564
    Offline

    Wedding attire, help needed!

    I've got a friend's wedding coming up, really stuck with what to wear.

    I don't currently own a suit, I really don't have much need for one - I'm not against buying one, but don't want to spend loads since it won't get much wear. Any suggestions where to get a half way decent suit that won't cost an arm and a leg?

    Initially I was thinking about buying separates, but get the impression this could be kind of tricky to pull off. I'm totally open to suggestions though.

  2. #2
    DorianGrape's Avatar

    FashionBeans Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,403
    Offline
    If it's something you're not going to wear a lot, want it at a decent price, don't want to spend much on alterations but still want to look sharp AF, you seriously can't beat Zara.

    I'd advise going in & trying them on if you can - the sizings can be a bit odd, but you can buy the trousers and blazers in whatever size suits.. ie., mix & match to suit yourself.

  3. #3

    Style Icon
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    564
    Offline
    I forgot about Zara, good shout. I've just had a quick look on the website, looks like there's some decent stuff. Cheers.

    Is black ok for a wedding? So long as I add a bit of colour with a tie?

  4. #4

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    190
    Offline
    Depends on a lot of things: dress code, venue, time of day etc

  5. #5

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    301
    Offline
    Yeah Zara's a good shout, when I was in there yesterday it looked like most of their smart/tailoring stuff was still on sale

  6. #6

    Style Icon
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    564
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSunKing View Post
    Depends on a lot of things: dress code, venue, time of day etc
    No mention of dress code, so I'll presume it is pretty standard. Venue is a stately home, I'll be there for the whole day/night.

    I'm just trying to come up with ways to look a bit different without sticking out. I really struggle with smart stuff because I live in jeans, leather jackets and boots.

  7. #7

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    190
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
    No mention of dress code, so I'll presume it is pretty standard. Venue is a stately home, I'll be there for the whole day/night.

    I'm just trying to come up with ways to look a bit different without sticking out. I really struggle with smart stuff because I live in jeans, leather jackets and boots.
    Easiest way to stand out is swap the tie for a black bow tie. Also maybe throw in a pocket square if you're feeling adventurous. As DG mentioned, Zara is a great start if you don't want to spend much

  8. #8

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    201
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
    I forgot about Zara, good shout. I've just had a quick look on the website, looks like there's some decent stuff. Cheers.

    Is black ok for a wedding? So long as I add a bit of colour with a tie?
    I would avoid wearing a black suit myself. It works as evening wear but rarely flatters in the day. Dark navy blues and dark greys (even almost blacks) tend to lend just a little more life to the suit and your complexion for day suits.

    If possible I'd also go for a suit with some slight variation in it - whether in pattern (stripe/herringbone/fleck/pick-and-pick/birds-eye) or texture. They tend to look more expensive and entirely flat, unpatterned worsted suits and will prove more versatile.

  9. #9

    Style Icon
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    564
    Offline
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll look for something in a dark grey, not really feeling navy.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts