FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Best place for smaller sized jumpers

1st post and I need your advice.

I bought a really nice cable knit Hardy Amies crew neck jumper a few years back which quickly became a favorite as I could wear it in the office with a nice shirt and trousers as well as with jeans - in fact it was so nice I bought the same in Navy.

However after a few years of wear and tear its a bit stretched out and doesn't look as good as it used it.

I've been on the search for a replacement for about 6 months now and can't find anything that hits the spot.

I'm 5'8" and wear a 36S suit jacked, all the jumpers I've tried in size S seem a little too roomy around the waste and a little too long in the arms (probably a great fit for someone wearing a 38S/R), even the newer Hardy Amies jumper I have (cashmer, light grey, crew neck) is a little too roomy so I guess they have altered their sizing?

What are the best brands/online shops for jumpers to fit size 36S/R?

Thanks in advance!

Trend Setter
    Im roughly the same size as you (36R), the best fitting jumpers ive got are PRL in size S/P. A bit cheaper would be Fred Perry S-slim fit or XS in regular fit. But if you want something lower priced, ive found Next XS fits like a glove.

If not those, ASOS do clothes in very small sizes that usually fit really well, although quality varies - just check the materials their made from as some items look identical, but one will be mostly/all polyester, where the other will be 98-100% natural materials.

I have a PRL which I hardly ever wear due to it being a touch baggy. I think it's perfect for a 38R which is, I guess, what goes for small nowadays.

I'm not really bothered about how much it costs as long as it's a good fit, not to say I'm rolling in it is just rather buy 2 or 3 jumpers to last than have a huge wardrobe.

What are ASOS like? I've stayed away in the past on the perhaps wrong assumption that the quality would be low.

Trend Setter
    PRL has two small sizes. One which is labelled as "S" only, and then their is "S/P". The S/P stands for small petit - which fits a smaller guy allot better than an S which is usually slightly baggy for me as well.

Fred Perry do jumpers in S and XS. With a 36R chest, the S in slim fit, fits me very well. The XS size is a bit too small for me - but a friend of mine who is a 34S (he is short) says the Fred Perry XS fits him very well.

ASOS will do not the best quality clothing in the world, however some of their stuff does come in natural fabrics and they do allot of different fits. You may not get PRL or Fred Perry quality standards, but you will get a very good fit, even for the smallest and skinniest of blokes. ASOS is one of the very few places that sell clothes that are too small even for me (i usually find with most brands, their smallest is too big for me).

Quote Originally Posted by LeeGibraltar View Post
    PRL has two small sizes. One which is labelled as "S" only, and then their is "S/P". The S/P stands for small petit - which fits a smaller guy allot better than an S which is usually slightly baggy for me as well.

Fred Perry do jumpers in S and XS. With a 36R chest, the S in slim fit, fits me very well. The XS size is a bit too small for me - but a friend of mine who is a 34S (he is short) says the Fred Perry XS fits him very well.
    Hi Lee, thanks for that - very useful info.

Where cal you get PRL in size S/P on their website I can only see XS and S but XS is not an option for any items when you actually go into them.

I'll have a look at Fred Perry.

ICA

S/P is just a bilingual label, not extra small

Maybe try looking at Japanese brands like CDG or Uniqlo, they should run smaller.

FashionBeans Legend
    Frankly a bit of oversizing can look really good with jumpers.
    My fashion blog, 24 Pinfold Street at wordpress.
    Instagram: samrjclemens

Trend Setter
    I find PRL sizing to be a bit weird, I'm 5'8" & 38S and normally wear a medium for all american clothing and I have to wear a small for PRL and the sleeves tend to be short even though the chest fits. just a thought.
    Tasteless Ape

Trend Setter
    For PRL items, S/P is not a bilingual label. It stands for "small petit", which differs from a small. I found this out in a shop in Spain, and saw two identical jumpers, but with one sized as S slim-fit, and one as S/P. The S slim-fit fit me ok, but was a little bit baggy around the waist and arms, the S/P fit me better with almost no bagging any where. While S/P may not be another term for XS, but id describe it as an extra slim fitting S (removing the baggyness). Length wise, they are the same.

Hobgobl1 : You may need to look at PRL Spain or El Corte Ingles. PRL do different sizes in different countries, running bigger or smaller. The average bloke in Spain is smaller than the average bloke in the UK is, so thats probably why S/P exists there and not (or not so much) in the UK. I found this problem when i went to the Carribean last year - the PRL smalls there fit like a UK M (probably United States stock). Which was a major disapointment, as PRL in the US costs peanuts.

If you do look on Spanish websites for this item, they have a habit of not using L, M, S etc, they use numbers. The number you want to look for (in a jumper) would be 44 or 42 slim fit.

If this is too much hassle, stick to Fred Perry, if your measurments you've stated are true - their XS will fit you very well. Failing that, their is always ASOS. Not the best quality, but they do a wide range of smaller sizes and fits etc.

Des

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeGibraltar View Post
    For PRL items, S/P is not a bilingual label. It stands for "small petit", which differs from a small. I found this out in a shop in Spain, and saw two identical jumpers, but with one sized as S slim-fit, and one as S/P. The S slim-fit fit me ok, but was a little bit baggy around the waist and arms, the S/P fit me better with almost no bagging any where. While S/P may not be another term for XS, but id describe it as an extra slim fitting S (removing the baggyness). Length wise, they are the same.

Hobgobl1 : You may need to look at PRL Spain or El Corte Ingles. PRL do different sizes in different countries, running bigger or smaller. The average bloke in Spain is smaller than the average bloke in the UK is, so thats probably why S/P exists there and not (or not so much) in the UK. I found this problem when i went to the Carribean last year - the PRL smalls there fit like a UK M (probably United States stock). Which was a major disapointment, as PRL in the US costs peanuts.

If you do look on Spanish websites for this item, they have a habit of not using L, M, S etc, they use numbers. The number you want to look for (in a jumper) would be 44 or 42 slim fit.

If this is too much hassle, stick to Fred Perry, if your measurments you've stated are true - their XS will fit you very well. Failing that, their is always ASOS. Not the best quality, but they do a wide range of smaller sizes and fits etc.
    Is this for real?? S/p is for our Euro friends just like an L/g is large Grande. There may be variations of the label depending on where the stock is distributed but if there's a
    difference between Small and S/P that's some mind blowing shit right there.

+ Reply to Thread