FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Question Opinions on Rolling Up Sleeves?

With autumn in full gear i've been swapping my polo shirts and tshirts for sweaters and more thicker garmants. However, what's the general consensus about rolling or pushing up sleeves on thinner long-sleeved tops? If I don't the ends of the sleeves usually billow at the ends of my hands making it seem too big for me.

Jay

Style Icon
    Never push up or roll sleeves. Fold them the Italian way for a flatter, neater, more stylish look:

Each to their own imo.

Anything like a sweater or just anything with elastic around the wrists is going to be ruined (stretched) if you push, roll or fold the sleeves.

Sam

Style Icon
    Things are probably billowing because you rolled up your sleeves - not because you didn't. Maverick's right, rolling up sleeves will stretch the fabric. Unless you have tiny wrists then the only other reason things might be flapping is because you've bought them too large, which is a definite no no. Also, some jumpers and sweaters, as well as jackets, will come further down your wrist than you might expect because that's the design. Can't fight that.

I think it looks great, so I have jumpers whose sleeves I always roll up and jumpers whose sleeves I never roll up. I agree with Jay on shirts too, fold them properly. I've even been known to push up the sleeves of a blazer jacket, boyband style, although that usually looks dreadful. One thing whose sleeves always find their ways up the arms is my denim jacket; denim is the last word in casual cool so it looks right.

I do think it looks cool, but it does stretch the sleeves, which can ruin the look of a jumper when worn normally. As such, like others in the thread, I have a few jumpers/cardigans I do it with, but mostly I will avoid it.

+ Reply to Thread