FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Advice for dressing down a suit

Hello,

I've just bought my first suit for a meeting I will be attending in a few weeks. Although I love the suit, it's too formal for the industry I'm going in (creative, product design) and would like some advice on how I can dress it down slightly.

I'll be wearing the blazer but I'm not sure about trousers and shirt, especially because the blazer is already somewhat bold.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/72jct96pvwvmyjj/photo.png

Style Icon
    Indigo or white jeans instead of the trousers, and a pocket square and job done !

Trend Setter
    Yeah indigo/white jeans. Or maybe wear a solid-coloured pair of smart skinny/very slim trousers from somewhere like Topman, maybe in a brown colour to go with the blue tone of the jacket? Then accessorise with a pocket square like Creed says.

It looks like it's mainly made of wool, right? For some reason I think of that as being more versatile than the Polyester/cotton equivalent would be, as the jacket should work as a blazer.

Nat

Style Icon
    Looks more like a linen blend to me. Nice suit. As it's on the less formal side, it should be easy to dress down. Off-white chinos, oxblood loafers (sockless), open-necked shirt. Will look incredible.

I'm looking at buying these two:

http://www.topman.com/en/tmuk/produc...5d&bi=1&ps=200

Slim Fit Plain Blue Luxury Twill Shirt | T.M.Lewin

I think off-white chino would work (my white jeans don't looks quite right with this blazer) but once the blazer is removed, there will be little contrast (which I love) between the light blue shirt and the light coloured pants.

The suit was purchased from here :Suit Blue Check Hudson P3836 | Suitsupply Online Store (very fast delivery, even from the netherlands!)

Nat

Style Icon
    There should be plenty of contrast between the shirt and chinos, don't worry.

Wearing the jacket with the trousers you've linked should look good, but won't really dress the suit down, if that's what you're after.

Fashionisto
    Can you share where you bought the suit? I have been looking for similar.

Style Icon
    I think it's suit supply, he's posted a link a couple of posts above. Really interesting brand, quite a heavy Italian vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by Martins View Post
    Can you share where you bought the suit? I have been looking for similar.
    Suitsupply! It's a new line for S/S 2014. Excellent quality. I became fed up of ASOS s*** and decided to look elsewhere. It cost a bit more but it's worth every penny, considering the quality and fit.

+ Reply to Thread