FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Coloured brogues vs Loafers?

Looking to buy a new pair of shoes for this summer but realistically only have money for one the next couple of months. Trying to choose between these brogues in either green or beige

or these loafers in brown

Realistically which pair is going to be the most versatile in terms of good for the office with chinos and a shirt (smart casual) but also fine for warm weekends and evenings with shorts? Must admit I would love to buy both (and might get the second pair later this year) but have had a mental last month or so and just don't have the budget right now.

Style Icon
    I would go for the loafers as they work a lot better with shorts.

I am currently trying to find a pair with a similar silhouette, but with a horsebit clasp across the front a la Gucci pairs. They're difficult to find.

Well, it depends on what you need more. Brogues are great for work. Brogues serve the purpose of being both simple and stylish. Loafers on the other hand are really comfortable and are designed for summer so they're acceptable at picnics or relaxed evenings out.
    Working at M. Kenny's Fashions - Bespoke Tailors

Nat

Style Icon
    They're both cool, but definitely the loafers for me. They will look best sockless though, which may not be so office-appropriate.

I would go with loafers. If you want to wear brogues with shorts they need to be a bright colour like red or blue.

Loafers for me too

Really not feeling the white laces / eyelets on those brogues. Not office appropriate imo

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll initially go with the loafers as they're the safer more versatile option. Going sockless is fine, just I want to wear them with chinos, shirts and sometimes blazers so good to dress up or down. There's no strict dress code, just a general idea of not wearing beach clothes but not having to wear a three pieces suit. Presentable to clients if they're about but not uncomfortable/formal. Might look into the brogues again in a couple of months depending on how I feel about them when the weather picks up. Wanted some for ages but never get round to buying them.

Des

Trend Setter
    Fwiw I would have preferred the brogues had it not been for the white laces.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Fwiw I would have preferred the brogues had it not been for the white laces.
    Laces are easy to replace. If shoes a good but not the races it's only a few .

+ Reply to Thread