FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Getting a tan

Hi all,

This big burning ball of gas has started to appear in the sky, not sure but I think it might be the sun!

I really want to get a tan this year, I think it looks good and while not 'fashion' per se, I wanted to get other FB members opinions on the following:

* Do you think a tan always looks good?
    * What's the best/safest method of getting a decent tan?

Style Icon
    In answer to the questions:

1) that's all a matter of taste, I prefer pale girls but i look better when tanned. It depends in your skin tone as to whether it will look good on you or not. Tanned skin looks a lot better with certain shades of clothes (pastel and whites)
    2) safest technical way of getting a tan is fake tan but I'd never use it (too much taboo), other than that it's using high factor sun block and moisturising well to maintain it. Obviously sun beds exist but I'm not really an advocate, that's not to say they are not safe.

Des

Style Icon
    *No.
    *Fake. I use a tanning gel on my legs as they don't really tan. Its a hassle applying it though and I feel conscious when I'm nekkid and um.. getting down. Thinking of going with my sis to a salon though. She goes at 10pm, sticks a few coins in the booth and job done after a few mins.

Where abouts are you though? I'm on the south coast where its sunny but certainly not warm enough for people to perceive a natural tan.

Fashionisto
    I'm in Yorkshire, so a bit of a mixed bag. I would be interested in 'speeding up' the process as it's pretty hard to get out in the sun regularly enough to get a natural tan on anything other than my face/arms.

I know nothing about tanning beds, or gels/lotions. Are tanning beds safe or not?

Des

Style Icon
    They have the same controversy as everything. Mobile phone radiation, the sugar content in a can of coke..
    I'd start with a gradual tanning lotion first to see how you get on.. This subject always reminds me of Ross from Friends

Fashionisto
    Yeah I'm a bit worried about the Ross from Friends scenario!

Trend Setter
    As quoted, it's all down to the individual's taste. I prefer being tanned, and I prefer tanned/darker skin in girls to pale (I mean, I love 'em all, and all sorts, but preference is darker).

I've only ever used the sun, but I'm in the South East, plus tan quite easily.
    Just walking around in it whenever it's out will do you to start, and if it's only 20/30 mins, shouldn't need sun block, not at this time of year.
    But if you're out any longer than that, especially as the sun gets stronger as we head towards summer, then get the pitzy boony out!
    Last edited by SteveK; 15-04-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Fashionisto
    You could use a tanning bed for a base then let the sun do the rest

Not gonna lie, I sometimes have a sunbed if I'm super pasty and about to go on holiday or w/e

It just takes the edge off the casper look and gives you a base tan that you can develop

Always let it fade over winter / if I'm not going away though. It doesn't look natural to have a tan all the time. Perma-tan just isn't a good look (unless you go on holiday all the time, in which case, fair play)

I don't think they're great for you so I wouldn't overdo it. But then neither is sunbathing really and I will do that constantly if the sun is out.

+ Reply to Thread