FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

What sort of stuff do you like to read about?

So I'm guessing those of us that use the forum read the FB website too? Well I do, sometimes.

I was wondering in terms of blogs and websites you visit what sort of stuff do you like to read about?

My blog is fast approaching a month and I want to see what sort of stuff most interests readers? I'm currently featuring some personal outfit and lifestyle choices along with articles on trends and certain brands. I've featured sale item picks, wish lists and more recently reviews on products I receive from companies for my website.

What sort of stuff do you guys care about and what would get you returning to read more?

For those that don't know my blog it's lukesvarc.com

FashionBeans Staff
    I'm liking what I've seen so far, just a few thoughts:

- The grooming product reviews are really good. What the web lacks is proper personal experience; if you're researching a product you want to know how it feels and what it's like to use and hearing first hand what someone thinks after actually using a product is really useful. Keep looking for lesser known products, you're more likely to get samples (read: free) and even with grooming its nice to be a bit individual, boots is a bit repetitive.

- Your variety keeps everything interesting. As long as you don't go too far off topic, you can cover pretty much whatever you want. Lifestyle pieces (switching gym/tea shop etc) break up the fashion and again, personal experiences are always good so keep this up.

- In fashion terms you need to strike a balance between creating something personal and something self absorbed, you are currently striking the right balance so don't worry. Too many menswear bloggers simply pack their site with instagram pictures of expensive clothes, cities and places to eat and offer nothing more than a visual (and hugely unhelpful) slap in the face for anyone silly enough to read them;Hey would you like to see how I wear this really expensive coat that I was given? or I really really like this hideous (and expensive) tee from some obscure new collection from someone no one has ever hear of. Fashion can make people very arrogant.

I've been writing for Fashionbeans for nearly four years now and if I've learnt one thing it's to write about stuff YOU like, it makes writing so much easier and your passion for it will show through in your writing, don't be tempted to do something just because it seems like a good idea, you need to want to do it. Strike the right mix of writing about what you like (sale picks/camo etc) but make it relatable for as wide an audience as possible.

Keep up the lifestyle and grooming pieces, I really like these and maintain the tempered advice with fashion pieces; spread our your personal wishlist/sale pick sections so that it isn't the site doesn't just turn into a list of things you want to buy otherwise you are at risk of looking like you think you're really important and that people need to know what you're doing at all times so they can copy you.

I hope this makes sense. I really like the stuff you're putting up, I just felt like dropping some thoughts.

Style Icon
    I always read the FB articles and like the variety and frequency of the content, plus they are written in a way which focuses on the clothes, and not the writer blowing smoke up their own arses about how clued up they are. This is a crucial point of credibility which this site does well.

The only blog I've ever stuck to (maybe spawned a bit further than a blog now) is menstylepro by Sabir Peele. What I like specifically about his approach is that he champions thriftiness (often picks his items up on eBay and charity shops), and is very down to earth, with every article actually giving specific advice, rather than just talking about a piece of clothing or himself. When someone looks at a blog, 99% of the time they want to learn something new (again, FB does this 100% of the time for me). Take a look here
    Men's Style Pro | Menswear Lifestyle Blog & Shop - Men's Style Decoded – Men's Style & Lifestyle Blog

Style Icon
    Oh and PS another thing which I think would be great to differentiate yourself a bit, is to head to and do a report on pitti immagine oumo in June (Firenze, Italy). I know there are a fair few online reports and blogs about this bi-annual event, but to have your own photos and report from the ground will separate you out from the blokes who online blog because they think they look great and that everyone wants to look at their wardrobe, with those who take fashion and trends seriously and who report on what OTHERS are doing in the industry too. You can report back on this years key trends, maybe try and get an interview with some labels etc to feature. I'm pretty sure your blog will get a few hits off the back of online searches for pitti 2014. I'm thinking of going this year just to take in the atmosphere and sun!

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    I'm liking what I've seen so far, just a few thoughts:
    Thanks for your response William. Some really good points there which I will take on board. The original idea of my blog was to keep things personal and to introduce people to a little insight into my life and to couple this with some fashion tips and reviews etc. My aim was to create a blog that would interest the 'average guy' who brings home an average pay check but who is someone who cares about how they look but is maybe scared of the more in your face/sartorial/high fashion websites, someone who looks to workout but at the same time likes a weekend break with the mrs, those sorts of things.

I appreciate the feedback and agree with everything you've said. I hope that in four years I'm still writing for myself and other people too so it's been great to hear from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    I always read the FB articles and like the variety and frequency of the content...
    Cheers, I'd never actually heard of Men's Style Pro but will definitely follow that from now on. I like the idea behind finding something out and learning something when visiting a website and adding this to William's advice suggests that people want to learn things from personal experience. Something I do do on my blog is provide honest reviews as per my disclaimer which PR companies are aware of. I imagine Italy will probably be a bit of a reach this year for me but I am hoping to get out to more events this like LCM/LFW etc and provide a stand alone view of these events.

Trend Setter
    The best fashion related advice I've ever had was reading the essentials series on this site. Other than following a few people on Instagram and receiving marketing materials this site is pretty much my only source of fashion advice, everything else comes down to my eyes and ideas. Must admit I'm not into the whole pushing the boundaries to follow trends and stand out thing. I wouldn't say I play it totally safe but I like items I can throw on together and look better than most other people. Love particular designers for their attention to detail and cut rather than trying to copy people from the runways. I'm building a wardrobe that won't go out of fashion and will last me a decade. This is the type of thing I'd happily spend time reading about. I loved the advice on which colours to stick together, which items you should build a wardrobe around and recommendations on brands for certain items.

I'd definitely read honest recommendations on quality as it can vary so much and often the best brands are those we haven't heard of. I'd also like to read more about grooming and grooming products and it's an area I'm extremely lazy. Now I've spent a year building a decent basic wardrobe I'd like to develop other areas stylistically. Must admit your gym stuff isn't for me. I hate the world of corporate gyms and can't stand to be around the types you listed in your article hogging machines with incorrect form. On the other hand I don't need to read about working out on a lifestyle blog as there are sites like bodybuilding.com with videos and instructions for every exercise imaginable.

I like your idea of highlighting sale items. I probably spend more time following sales or various sites and buying at the right price than anything else style wise. I tend to buy at 50% discount or more and rarely pay full price for anything. It's not that I can't afford to, just that I don't need to with the way the market currently is. I'd happily visit your site regularly if you highlighted reduced high quality items as well as high street level. It's not that I'm against high street brands, just that I'm always looking for investment pieces and see getting them at a great price as a bigger deal than saving the cost of a few pints on something cheaper.

Not sure what I can add really, but was definitely like more info of grooming products, fragrances and bargains.

Trend Setter
    Thanks for that mate. Seems that people are really interested in sale picks and like you say it would be a good idea to start throwing in some high end sales which I plan to do so over time. I can almost imagine a whole website based around sales from an honest, normal opinion being a hit with people.

With regards to the gym stuff, the idea was me moaning about corporate gyms and the fact the gym I went to on that occasion was different from others I had been in but I can appreciate that not everything will interest everyone.

+ Reply to Thread