FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    384
    Offline

    Should I buy this bag'?

    Starting a new job next week which is only a half hour walk from home so want to walk there most days to be healthy and get some fresh air. Don't want a ruck sack as they make you sweat too much Looking for something big enough to stick a lunch box, a can of deodorant and some papers in. Found this on Mr Porter. Seems very good value and looks good quality compared to bags in that price range on other sites, but I've never actually seen anything from J Crew in the flesh? What do you all reckon? If anyone has any better options I'd be open to them too. Prefer a shoulder strap rather than something I'd have to carry by hand for half an hour.

    J.Crew - Abingdon Waxed Cotton-Canvas and Leather Messenger Bag*|*MR PORTER

  2. #2
    joshua's Avatar

    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    633
    Offline
    Looks good to me and J.Crew is usually good quaility. It's not as formal as I'd expect for most jobs, but I guess you work in a pretty casual enviroment.

  3. #3

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    384
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Looks good to me and J.Crew is usually good quaility. It's not as formal as I'd expect for most jobs, but I guess you work in a pretty casual enviroment.
    Yeah it's an office, but not a suit and tie type. Somewhere with a smart casual dress code where I believe you can dress down in the summer. No need for a briefcase or anything formal/smart. Thanks for the feedback btw.

  4. #4

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    153
    Offline
    It doesn't stand out, but for the price it seems reasonable. The only issue I have found with some messenger type bags when carried is their lack of rigidity which causes them to fold creasing your papers and making them awkward to carry.

    Depending on your budget and if your willing to invest in a long lasting piece I would go for one of these, made in the UK too!
    Men's Homepage - Shop by Category - Men

  5. #5
    Des

    Style Icon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    575
    Offline
    I could be showing my age but I wouldn't dream of anything that didn't have a padded strap. I'd rethink the backpack idea. I know messengers can look smarter and more mature but a practical backpack is a godsend when the sun comes out during your half hr walk with just a shirt.

  6. #6

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    384
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    I could be showing my age but I wouldn't dream of anything that didn't have a padded strap. I'd rethink the backpack idea. I know messengers can look smarter and more mature but a practical backpack is a godsend when the sun comes out during your half hr walk with just a shirt.
    I like backpacks but don't want one for work as they rub against your back and make you sweat, especially in summer. Have one I use for football or the gym but don't want to arrive at work with sweat patches.

  7. #7

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    384
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    It doesn't stand out, but for the price it seems reasonable. The only issue I have found with some messenger type bags when carried is their lack of rigidity which causes them to fold creasing your papers and making them awkward to carry.

    Depending on your budget and if your willing to invest in a long lasting piece I would go for one of these, made in the UK too!
    Men's Homepage - Shop by Category - Men
    I have the budget for something in that range if I see value in them. Browsing their site it's hard to know where to start. Which models are most practical for papers, a tablet, lunch etc? Don't need a laptop compartment or anything.

  8. #8

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    153
    Offline
    Gibbe, I would contact their customer service department for their suggestion (giving them the dimensions of papers and even the lunch box you intend to fit). They will get back to you with some models and their dimensions. I've found them to be very good and they even offered to send some fabric samples to help me choose. Their fabric and craftsmanship is much better than the generic branded products.
    In terms of size the Border fell would accommodate an A4 notebook, but I would struggle to fit an A4 file in it. It entirely depends on what you want to put in it. I think they do offer returns but it would probably have to pay for it.

    They may even be able to make a custom padded strap as it is a valid point raised above!
    Last edited by jamie; 18-04-2014 at 05:28 PM.

  9. #9

    Trend Setter
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    384
    Offline
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Gibbe, I would contact their customer service department for their suggestion (giving them the dimensions of papers and even the lunch box you intend to fit). They will get back to you with some models and their dimensions. I've found them to be very good and they even offered to send some fabric samples to help me choose. Their fabric and craftsmanship is much better than the generic branded products.
    In terms of size the Border fell would accommodate an A4 notebook, but I would struggle to fit an A4 file in it. It entirely depends on what you want to put in it. I think they do offer returns but it would probably have to pay for it.

    They may even be able to make a custom padded strap as it is a valid point raised above!
    Wow, I didn't expect anything custom in that price bracket. If they really can make things to your requirements for a couple of hundred it could be well worth the investment, especially if they are of the quality you say. Not gonna be around much at the weekend but think I'll shoot them an email on Monday and see what they suggest. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts