FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    gus

Short sleeve shirts?

Just wondering what people think of short sleeve shirts? I'm generally quite wary of them and think that the wrong kind of short sleeve shirt can look awful, but I'm quite tempted to try something like this: ASOS | ASOS Twist Yarn Shirt In Short Sleeve at ASOS In my opinion this seems casual enough to get away with being short sleeved, but I was wondering if anyone else has a different opinion?

Trend Setter
    I think if you have good or at least above average arms they can look good if you nail the fit. If you have skinny arms I think they can accentuate a less positive part of your build. Like any item that exposes skin or more of your body I think it all comes down to build.

Fashionisto
    I like the thought of the practical side of them i.e. cooler in the office in summer. However whenever I have tried one on they don't seem to look that great on me. Look a bit geeky - in a computer programmer sort of way. I have slim but lean/defined arms. In short sleeve shirts, the sleeves for me, always seem to be too short or too long.

Trend Setter
    I'm inclined to agree with Gibbe84, I think with skinny arms they can sometimes look a bit awkward (speaking personal experience!)

I think the old rolling up of the sleeves a couple times helps to combat this though, especially as it generally stops the bottom of the sleeve ballooning out and accentuating any skinny arms. I'd advise this for James100, except I'm not really sure if rolling up short sleeves is particularly acceptable in an office environment.

Either way, I'm planning on buying a couple short sleeve oxford shirts this summer, probably from ASOS too. Light blue and pink would be my personal choices, pastels all the way!

Fashionisto
    I'd have to agree with the small arms and it looking awkward.

A bodybuilder on facebook uploaded this before and I'd say it looks a million times better with someone with impressive arms(like in the link below) than in the other end of the spectrum of being small framed and skinny in my opinion.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...f6&oe=53CD9CDC

But it's up to you in the end; just make sure it's a good fit to avoid the 'nerdy' look of it and avoid wearing a tie at all costs
    Last edited by overtoad; 20-04-2014 at 03:33 AM.

Des

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by overtoad View Post
    I'd have to agree with the small arms and it looking awkward.

A bodybuilder on facebook uploaded this before and I'd say it looks a million times better with someone with impressive arms(like in the link below) than in the other end of the spectrum of being small framed and skinny in my opinion.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...f6&oe=53CD9CDC

But it's up to you in the end; just make sure it's a good fit to avoid the 'nerdy' look of it and avoid wearing a tie at all costs
    Sorry but inc the shirt that look as a whole is horrible.
    The carrot jeans, plucked eyebrows and the way the shirt is worn is a bit comical. I'm not against showing off muscles and I'm totally envious of the dedication and work they put in but cosco.

In terms of an ss shirt look, give me the top asos one any day.

Style Icon
    I know a lot of people dislike short sleeve shirts, while at the same time having no problem with polos, and personally I struggle to see the big difference.

The problem with short sleeve shirts is that they're hard to find in good quality and fit. As it's a summer attire, they usually come in too loose and baggy fits. And they usually don't get ironed properly, as they're for casual use. But I find that a well fitting, short sleeved shirt looks great.

I tend to get mine from online made-to-measure services, to get the right fit and arm length.

This looks freakish and awful imo. Would hate to have arms like that - he looks like a complete cheesebag.

On a dude with normal sized arms (like the asos model in the op) that outfit could be ok, but on a physique like that he just looks like a Geordie Shore reject.

I get that bodybuiding is hard work and takes a ton of dedication, and a physique like that is hard to attain, but it just doesn't mix with looking fashionable.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    This looks freakish and awful imo. Would hate to have arms like that - he looks like a complete cheesebag.

On a dude with normal sized arms (like the asos model in the op) that outfit could be ok, but on a physique like that he just looks like a Geordie Shore reject.

I get that bodybuiding is hard work and takes a ton of dedication, and a physique like that is hard to attain, but it just doesn't mix with looking fashionable.
    Also looks as though he skips leg day so his physique isn't balanced. His arms look bigger than his legs.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbe84 View Post
    Also looks as though he skips leg day so his physique isn't balanced. His arms look bigger than his legs.
    He's not alone looking like that. I don't think I've ever had to stand in line or wait to use the leg machines at any gym I've ever frequented.

In Sweden we call it "citytränad" (city fit) - all shoulders and arms, no legs.

+ Reply to Thread