FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Capsule Wardrobe - The Journey

Hi,

I'm looking to build my own capsule wardrobe from scratch with monthly purchases. My wardrobe currently consists of faded, warn, over/under sized items, so I'm after the bread and butter basics as well as any additions. I have read the articles on a mans capsule wardrobe so I'm familiar with what to buy, but with the help of you guys on this forum I'm looking for where to start and what to move on to. Take into account the current season. Thanks.
    Last edited by TheDiscoBeetle; 19-04-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Mistakes

Fashionisto
    Your best option for starting to build a capsule wardrobe is to move away from current season trends. Don't get me wrong, I may still buy one piece each season as a nod to that trend but it is my basic items that it would be integrated with.

Sorry jamie, what I meant by season was to take into account we're moving into the summer, so pea coats won't be a necessity lol. I'm not fixated on current trends.

Fashionisto
    My bad! If your thinking about now then, tailored trousers and slim chinos would be my top priority, maybe some lighter weight oxford shirts and blazers. For warm weather weekend casual I've just purchased some tailored shorts in linen which should be good. You might also want to consider some well fitted polo shirts and lightweight knitwear.

Haha that's more like it brother. Any recommendations?

Fashionisto
    I think there's a pretty good article on this website about the capsule wardrobe. I've been spending a fair bit of time recently on the subreddit /r/malefashionadvice and they've got an absolute tonne of info on starting with the basics. Definitely agree with the oxford shirts, polos, chinos and blazer Jamie suggested. A few suggestions I'd have though:
    - Navy/light grey crew or v neck jumpers (depending on preference). Great for layering, think uniqlo does decent priced and quality basics in general
    - A pair of white canvas trainers. Converse or Vans at one end of the spectrum, Common Projects at the other if you can afford them
    - A pair of loafers for the smarter summer occasions
    - A couple of short sleeve oxfords wouldn't be a bad shout for the summer months. Pink, light blue, white, pastels in general in my opinion
    - A lightweight jacket for the colder days. Bombers are really in at the moment, but a jacket with a hood might also come in handy. Penfield does great ones
    - If you really want to keep up with the trends you can probably buy a statement shirt, something floral or bold

Hope that helps. I'm learning myself it's a long and expensive process. Most important thing to remember is making sure something fits you well. Working out definitely helps with that! Good luck.

Fashionisto

+ Reply to Thread