FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Zara...

Hi all,

Don't have a Zara store near to where I live and never bought any of their stuff before. What is the fit like? On the website the models all seem to be wearing Large - on most other sites like Asos, Reiss etc the models usually wear medium. Does this mean their fit is quite small? Opinions on the general quality would be great too.

Fashionisto
    I usually wear M. L in Zara. It is very slim fitting.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitor View Post
    I usually wear M. L in Zara. It is very slim fitting.
    Thanks, I'll probably stick to M as I'm a fairly slim medium. I must say on their website the clothes look really unflattering on the models, they look like they all look like they are wearing a size to big. I wish my town had more choice as online shopping can be deceptive sometimes clothes look excellent in pictures then don't deliver when you recieve them and vice-versa.

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by James100 View Post
    Thanks, I'll probably stick to M as I'm a fairly slim medium. I must say on their website the clothes look really unflattering on the models, they look like they all look like they are wearing a size to big. I wish my town had more choice as online shopping can be deceptive sometimes clothes look excellent in pictures then don't deliver when you recieve them and vice-versa.
    The photos on the Zara website are pretty accurate generally. I don't have a local shop, so I've to order online too - I'd be a similar build and find that medium normally fits spot on most of the time with the exception of their jackets... I'd recommend either sizing up or ordering both the medium and large - there's very little difference in the overall sizing between the two except for a few extra cm in the chest. They would definitely be the most slim fitting of the Inditex brands.

Trousers are always true to size & excellent fit-wise.

In terms of quality, Zara can be hit and miss. Generally the cheaper stuff is naff - steer clear of anything preceded with the word "basic" and check the composition & care instructions before you buy. A lot of their stuff is fine though - just be prepared to send back a lot of what you order (I return around half and keep the rest).

Style-wise, I really like their stuff - great for work clothes and seasonal items.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    The photos on the Zara website are pretty accurate generally. I don't have a local shop, so I've to order online too - I'd be a similar build and find that medium normally fits spot on most of the time with the exception of their jackets... I'd recommend either sizing up or ordering both the medium and large - there's very little difference in the overall sizing between the two except for a few extra cm in the chest. They would definitely be the most slim fitting of the Inditex brands.

Trousers are always true to size & excellent fit-wise.

In terms of quality, Zara can be hit and miss. Generally the cheaper stuff is naff - steer clear of anything preceded with the word "basic" and check the composition & care instructions before you buy. A lot of their stuff is fine though - just be prepared to send back a lot of what you order (I return around half and keep the rest).

Style-wise, I really like their stuff - great for work clothes and seasonal items.
    Thanks. Do you have anything from Mango ? If yes, how do you think the two brands compare?
    Thanks

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by James100 View Post
    Thanks. Do you have anything from Mango ? If yes, how do you think the two brands compare?
    Thanks
    I don't have anything from Mango - from what I've read from other posters on here though, Mango sizes would appear to be more suitable to bulkier (as opposed to slim) builds.

Fashionisto
    Exactly what Dorian said. Zara may not have good quality and honestly their clothes don't last long. But the fits and designs are real good. I can recommend their trousers as well.

If you have to choose between Zara and Mango, definetely go for Zara. I bought a lot of stuff from Mango and now i'm trying to get rid of them tbh. The quality is terrible and fits aren't as good as they are shown on web.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitor View Post
    Exactly what Dorian said. Zara may not have good quality and honestly their clothes don't last long. But the fits and designs are real good. I can recommend their trousers as well.

If you have to choose between Zara and Mango, definetely go for Zara. I bought a lot of stuff from Mango and now i'm trying to get rid of them tbh. The quality is terrible and fits aren't as good as they are shown on web.
    Thanks for the heads up. Mango's stuff looks really good in the photographs too.

I bought 2 pairs of their basic Jeans for 25 a piece. Faded Black 32x32, Indigo Blue 32x32. The Black 32x32 was a reasonable fit in the waist, but they sagged in the seat and desperately needed tapering and hemming (32 leg for me should NOT require such extensive shortening!). The Blue jeans were terrible. They were so tight it was unbelievable. Why should 2 pairs of Jeans in the same size fit so differently, especially from the same line? I took the Blue ones back and got a 34x32. Again, they needed tapering, hemming and were sagging in the seat. Not only that, the stitching had come undone on the outside of the leg just above the knee on one side. I took them all back in the end. Terrible fit, terrible quality.

Then I went to Uniqlo and bought 2 pairs of 33x32 slim fit. Best fitting jeans I've ever had, all for 35 a piece.

To put things in perspective in order to get the Zara Jeans up to scratch I'd have had to pay 12 to have them hemmed and 22 to have them tapered, maybe another 15 to have the waist taken in by my tailor. Taking the cost per Jean to 25+12+22 = 59. Not worth it.

Having said that, I've bought other stuff from them that was fine. For me, they're not trustworthy enough to blindly order online. I'd only buy something that I tried on in store and inspected thoroughly.

Style Icon
    Zara don't stock size small in many mens tops, with just M, L and XL available. They too seem true to size for me, possibly a tad small.

+ Reply to Thread