FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Music and style

I was just thinking about how the music a person listens to affects their personal style. Does music, genre or even the musicians you like inspire the way you dress in a significant way.

for example I originally started wearing skinny jeans cause they were the staple uniform of anyone into indie music etc

Fashionisto
    Definitely has a major influence on my style. I've always been heavily into rock music, go to loads of gigs and pretty much live in denim, leather jackets etc. I do struggle at times when I need to dress more smartly though. This place has given me some ideas, though a lot of the styles here come across as a bit 'Hooray Henry' for my liking, I'm not saying it looks awful, but for me it's a bit lacking in originality, and most definitely doesn't fit my style.

Trend Setter
    Not really.

In my case I listen to a bunch of different genres and artists from rap to electronic to rock, so I can't really associate myself to a particular music scene. Lately I've been into a lot of classic hip hop, although I still own a leather biker jacket which I love (which is without a doubt, rock influenced). I also like to cuff or pin roll almost any pair of chinos and jeans, which again, is associated with the rock scene.

Sure I like to listen to Kanye, but you'll never see me in leather jeans or over-sized tees, because it just doesn't fit with my style.

Style Icon
    I agree with Malti. Maybe as a younger man (boy), music did influence my style quite a lot. But as an adult that is not the case anymore.
    I dress my age and my surroundings more than my music now, my job influences my choices to an extent but I am pretty set on what I like.

Is this a case of growing up? changing? I personally think you just grow out of certain things and acquire new tastes along the way and maybe that is the same with influence.

So what influences me now if not music?... work? women? fashionbeans? I guess it is a collection of these things with music included. That is the way of people. We are making choices from what we surround ourselves with.
    That is why addiction is stronger when you are with other addicts.

FashionBeans Legend
    There's an inextricable link between music and fashion which started in the 1950s - musicians like Elvis Presley completely changed how young people dressed when they realised that there was an alternative to dressing like their parents and the generations before them.

Since then, every generation has had it's own style /styles - hippies, rockers, mods in the 60s, punk, glam rock & disco in the 70s, metal, goth and pop in the 80s, grunge in the 90s etc etc.

Funnily enough, the leather biker jackets & skinny jeans made popular by Elvis have come and gone throughout many generations - they were picked up by both punks and metal heads - and are back in style these days.

When I was a teenager, I was big into The Cure, The Smiths, Jesus & Mary Chain, Echo & The Bunnymen - these musicians were heroes to me, so naturally I copied their styles - big hair, black clothes, chelsea boots, mac coats, crumpled blazers, leather jackets and scruffy white grandad shirts were all in force.

I don't think music can ever mean as much to you as an adult as it does when you are a teenager - I still love music, but at that age, music and music fashion are life changing and life consuming, so like James says, it's normal that these things become less of an influence on you as you get older.

Though I would be lying if I said that from time to time I don't copy the odd thing from a musician I love...

Huge fan of death metal and in my teens all I would wear was band merch, skinny jeans and Vans. Now I've grown up I still listen to the same music but my style has changed drastically and is no longer influenced by my taste in music. Also a huge fan of hip-hop and although I love the style of guys like Kanye West/Pusha T/A$AP Rocky etc. and the high fashion brands hip-hop seems to promote nowadays I could never see myself wearing what they do.

Style Icon
    Funny enough, in my teens, I never dressed the way I really wanted to. I wanted to dress like the new wave mods - think Paul Weller / The Jam - and ska bands - like The Specials - but where I came from, that would have been quite an extraordinary move. For a lot of reasons.

I listened to a lot of ska, punk and hard rock in my teens - The Jam, Liberator, Bad Religion, Millencolin (any band on Burning Heart Records, really), Rancid, AC/DC, Black Sabbath. Most of my friends were metal heads, and dressed accordingly. I played football, and with the jock attitude that quite often comes along with that, you simply did not dress in a way that would stick out. My big brother, whom I now have a great relationship with, was also a big source of put-downs and put-offs. Anything I did that was different to what he did, he'd rip at. I was also a nerd, so I hung out with a bunch of computer nuts too, and they were a lot of things, but well dressed they were not. All this, combined with a low self esteem, lead to a severe lack of style, that lasted well into my 20s.

I'm kind of making up for that now, in my mid 30s. So in that sense, music has a bigger influence on how I dress now than it used to have. I dress a bit mod'ish, but I need a wardrobe that works with my office job and family life as well.

I don't think I'll dress like this forever, though. Taste changes, your body changes and you might stop caring about how you dress. Maybe I'll acquire a taste for Scooter in my old age, and start dressing like a German raver. Hyper hyper!

Style Icon
    My music taste doesn't really have an associated uniform as such (electronic music), but I definitely think some genres have a very strong clothing identity. For example it's usually quite easy to spot a mod fan, gothic rock fan, rock fan, punk fan, and sometimes even a band music / indie fan. My mates is forever wearing band t shirts, the biggest giveaway of all!

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post

Though I would be lying if I said that from time to time I don't copy the odd thing from a musician I love...
    DorianGrape - you are never smiling on your photos; are we to presume you copied Paul's teeth too?

Des

Style Icon
    Pete Doherty's butcher wears one.

+ Reply to Thread