FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Bow Tie and Braces

Hello everyone.

Quick question here - when wearing braces with a bow-tie, is it unacceptable if they are not matching?

Either way, I bought my bow tie separately, so what would be your advice when purchasing some braces to go with it?

Fashionisto
    Not unacceptable, no. Like with ties and pocket squares, there's no hard and fast rule except not to have everything clashing - so if you've got a colourful patterned shirt, a different colourful patterned bowtie, and different colourful patterned braces: you're going to look like Timmy Mallet. To make the combination look smart instead, make sure some of them are toned down so that your one or two highlights stand out.

Examples which could work:
    - plain white shirt, navy braces, colourful patterned bow tie.
    - striped shirt, bow tie in a modest unpatterned shade of the same colour as your stripes, neutral braces.
    - neutral shirt, bow tie colourful but unpatterned, braces also colourful (but make sure it's a complementary colour).

What context are you planning on wearing this kind of outfit? Obviously if you are a children's entertainer, ignore everything I've written!

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by vincebowdren View Post
    Like with ties and pocket squares, there's no hard and fast rule
    I thought the only hard and fast rule with ties and pocket squares is that they shouldn't match (I've seen it done before and they look like Christmas gift sets). If that's true, OP, you have nothing to worry about - just try not to make it look like you're trying to match them.

Thanks, some good advice there. Unfortunately it is a no on the children's entertainer.

Its for a formal occasion really. I've got a very nice patterned bow tie so I think I'll keep the braces non-patterned and one dark colour, along with the white shirt.

+ Reply to Thread