FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

jumping on the americana/varsity look... on a budget

I am still on the look out for a killer light wash denim jacket, to compliment my one and only lightweight coat; but after reading the recent article about the varsity jackets i thought i might buy one and see if i can rock it...

i'm doing this on a budget, as i want to be able to (relatively) splurge on the denim, but what are peoples thoughts on the following cheaper options i found on ASOS -

ASOS | ASOS Bomber In Jersey Herringbone Fabric at ASOS

New Look | New Look Bomber Jacket with Textured Print at ASOS

River Island | River Island Biker Bomber Jacket at ASOS

ASOS | ASOS Harrington Jacket In Cord at ASOS

As always - thanks for any comments...

Trend Setter
    I must admit I wouldn't really associate any of those jackets with Americana / Varsity / Prep type looks. The last one is close I guess, but still not what I'd associate with vintage US.

That said, the River Island jacket is nice!

Trend Setter
    I recently bought this on ASOS and I'd recommend it, especially for the price. If you don't like it, free returns too.

ASOS | ASOS Bomber With Varsity Detail at ASOS

Trend Setter
    Naturals - you are right, they are only tenuously linked to the varsity look. I just don't think I can go for the big white sleeves of a baseball jacket. I like the River Island jacket, but am not too keen on the plastic/leather patches.

McCoy - I like this coat, maybe will get it along with the cord one I posted and choose one to keep.

Trend Setter
    It's a solid summer/spring jacket (it won't help you in the rain or anything beyond a bit of a wind, but you could easily layer beneath it). The material is pretty breathable. I got it purely for this transitional weather, and as something to wear other than a blazer. Think it's a steal for 20. It's also got quite a nice minimalistic look so it's quite chic in that it can be dressed up/down, even though when I initially began looking at varsities I wanted something more traditional.

I wore it with a very similar outfit to the above (light green oxford and black jeans instead) on a day out and I reckon it looked great.

Trend Setter
    McCoy,

Both the jackets turned up today - but i have plumbed to keep the cord one as the jersey one looked like it could stretch and misshape pretty easy. Nice top though.

I have put a pic of me in the cord one in the 'what are you wearing...' thread.

Trend Setter
    Beauty of free returns, there.

Really want an affordable version of the Saint Laurent monochrome varsity. Ultimate wishlist material.

Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    Beauty of free returns, there.

Really want an affordable version of the Saint Laurent monochrome varsity. Ultimate wishlist material.

Really want that Saint Laurent bomber.

Trend Setter
    A spare grand knocking around and it could be mine. Sigh. The monetary pitfalls of being an academic-in-training.

Trend Setter
    maybe we should re-title the thread "jumping on the americana/varsity look...Not on a budget"

+ Reply to Thread