FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

feeling like an impostor...

I have noticed i'm classes as a 'fashionisto' now on my profile - whereas I have a looong way to go.

I wont feel like a fashionisto until i can confidently give independent advice, like a good few of you on here. But give me a couple more years and the time to read a few 1000 more articles on here. Slowly gaining confidence.

1 question -

This site is helping me along, but without being a defector, can anybody recommend a couple of similar sites and forums - just to broaden my outlook.

Thanks to everyone so far..

Nat

Style Icon
    I was thinking the same myself tbh..... (Where's the new emoticons so I can indicate that I'm only pulling Ukalec's selvedge-clad leg?)

I don't follow much else. Trashness and tsbmen occasionally.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I don't follow much else. Trashness and tsbmen occasionally.
    tsbmen is well worth checking out - they have some decent content on there although sometimes the blatant sponsorship leads to a few brands being featured on a far too regular basis (I'm thinking Michael Andrews Bespoke; last featured just yesterday).

Style Icon
    I had a look at that TSBmen site last night. Didn't that Dan fella used to blog somewhere else? I really don't like his face - he always looks so smug & reminds me of a poor mans' Ben Affleck.

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    I had a look at that TSBmen site last night. Didn't that Dan fella used to blog somewhere else? I really don't like his face - he always looks so smug & reminds me of a poor mans' Ben Affleck.
    Don't think so. He used to run thestyleblogger, which then evolved into TSBmen. He is definitely a bit smug (and thinks he's a major baller), and some of the content is quite wanky, but there's some good stuff on there too, regardless of your tastes. They are quite broad. A bit TOO broad maybe (snakeskin cowboy boots anyone?), but on the whole it's a good site.

And one of us should enter their monthly giveaway.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Don't think so. He used to run thestyleblogger, which then evolved into TSBmen. He is definitely a bit smug (and thinks he's a major baller), and some of the content is quite wanky, but there's some good stuff on there too, regardless of your tastes. They are quite broad. A bit TOO broad maybe (snakeskin cowboy boots anyone?), but on the whole it's a good site.

And one of us should enter their monthly giveaway.
    thestyleblogger - that's the one! He used to run regular "best dressed" competitions with him pitted against his less well-dressed, less good-looking mates and win them every time. The smug git.

Trend Setter
    Was thinking DG was being harsh here but that is one smug face.

Nat

Style Icon
    @Creed - good shout. Sabir Peele is class.

Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    thestyleblogger - that's the one! He used to run regular "best dressed" competitions with him pitted against his less well-dressed, less good-looking mates and win them every time. The smug git.
    Yup. he still does that!

Trend Setter
    Apart from these forums, I frequent Male Fashion Advice (aka MFA) on Reddit. It's an international community, but a lot of the users on there are from the US. I basically use it to widen my views on fashion as this community embraces a lot of different styles, from the Americana/heritage styles to the more high fashion style of the goth ninja (I didn't even know this was a thing a year ago).

Through MFA, I also ended up learning a bunch about the fashion world in general, and I now know my fair share of designers and high end brands, and their impact on the fashion world as a whole.

When I just want to look at pretty pictures, I tend to visit this blog every once in a while. Their S/S looks are impeccable (Apart from being Italians!).

Keep in mind that it took me years to get where I am now (I started around the time I joined this very forum). When I started out in my quest to dress better, I didn't even know how clothes should actually fit. Now I've come to understand all of the basics, as well as knowing what items work in my own style and what doesn't. I also understand the appeal of brands such as Rick Owens and Common Projects, and why would someone pay so much for just a simple Tee or a pair of trainers.

Fashion may be intimidating when one starts out, but it's a gradual process. Remember that at the end of the day, it's supposed to be fun.

+ Reply to Thread