FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jblack View Post
    Think the one in your original post is stunning....
    Agree - Mondaine Swiss Railway watches always look great.

Fashionisto
    have you had a look at this one aswell..

Mondaine Gents Stop2Go Watch A512.30358.16SBB | the Watch Hut

Thanks for all the advice, i've looked at all recommendations. Larsson & Jennings appealed best aesthetically but still the Mondaine watch is my favourite. The stop & go variant is also very nice, however it's quartz not automatic-if spending £450 on a watch I'd like automatic.

Now to check if John Lewis actually sell these in store...!

Fashionisto
    That's a pretty cool timepiece there.

If you can stretch to it, I believe a Nomos Glashutte is a fine investment if you don't want anything so flash as a Breitling etc.

Check out their selection here: NOMOS Glashütte

If you're on a budget, consider something like a Komono. They are quartz movement unfortunately, but this isn't a bad bet for the price IMO: MAGNUS | Black Black | KOMONO

I think a VOID also is worth considering. Perhaps this one: VOID | Watches | V03M-BL/BL
    They do actually produce what I believe to be 'nicer' watches, for example: VOID | Watches | V03D-GOLBOW
    However I personally refuse to pay over £100 for a quartz watch, hence it's a no-go for me.

Fashionisto
    Those void watches are also very nice!!

For a complete watch novice whats the difference between a Quartz and Automatic?? Looking to buy my first watch and some of the suggestions in this post are exactly what i've been looking for and stunning!

Fashionisto

For a complete watch novice whats the difference between a Quartz and Automatic?? Looking to buy my first watch and some of the suggestions in this post are exactly what i've been looking for and stunning!
    The difference really is between quartz and mechanical - quartz watches are driven by a battery, automatic by a spring. Mechanical watches are then divided into automatic and hand-wound, hand wound is pretty obvious and automatic watches are driven by your movement.

Just to confuse matters, there are a few (very few) automatic quartz watches, where a battery is charged by your movement.

There's a lot more craftsmanship in an automatic mechanical, which is why they are generally more expensive.
    All spelling errors & missing characters brought to you courtesy of Toshiba's Satellite keyboard.

Trend Setter

I'm far from an expert but I believe a Quartz watch is essentially a posh word for a watch with a battery, whereas an Automatic is charged using the motion of the wrist. The benefits / drawbacks of each will have to be explained by someone more knowledgeable!

Fashionisto
    I'll do my best chaps, but I'm by no means an expert:

Quartz watches maintain their time by vibrating a tiny piece of quartz back and forth. Watches of this type are nowadays usually inexpensive but they are consistently highly accurate. They are also pretty much maintenance free (aside from changing the batteries). 90% of the time quartz watches are powered by a simple battery, however it is possible to power them by sunlight or by kinetic movement of your wrist. Look to Japan for good examples of this sort of movement. I believe Citizen do quite a lot of work with kinetic and casio similar for solar power.

Mechanical watches are driven by an array of complicated gears and springs. There is considered a certain artform in the craftsmanship of these movements which some people are willing to pay for. In terms of accuracy, a good mechanical timepiece may lose up to 10 or gain up to 6 seconds a day as very few are dead on accurate, unlike a quartz or atomic watch. Whilst initially you may wish to think that a mechanical watch is a maintenance free option that never needs its battery changing, they do need to be serviced every 4-5 years. This can cost from £100 up to about 10% of the initial purchase price of the watch.

Mechanical watches can be divided into two categories:
    Manual: You wind the crown every few days to load the mainspring, this powers the watch.
    Automatic: There is a small semicircular weight which rotates through a ruby onto a spindle. As there is very little resistance on this, the weight rotates with your wrist's movements and loads the mainspring - from then forth the way the watches work is very similar. It's worth noting here that if you don't wear your automatic watch for about 3 days, then it will stop working.

Most mechanical watches you can buy these days are automatic (sometimes called self winding), though there are a few exceptions. Seiko actually produce very good automatic movements, but they are subject to a lot of snobbery from elitist watch aficionados who believe that a proper watch has to have a mechanical Swiss movement.

Personally, I find automatic watches wonderful. I love the idea that I'm wearing a beautifully intricate piece of engineering on my wrist. I also really like the idea that a quality automatic watch can last a lifetime, provided it's well maintained. There's also a cracking second hand market for automatic watches, and it's perfectly conceivable to pick up a bargain, get it refurbished or simply serviced and crack on using it every day. Almost like a classic car, there's a lovely feeling of history and character that you get from doing that, in my opinion.

In truth, I can't see myself handing over money for a quartz watch ever again, but, I completely get that some people just want to be able to tell the damn time, so that's fine with me.
    Last edited by Kessler; 05-05-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Kessler View Post
    That's a pretty cool timepiece there.

If you can stretch to it, I believe a Nomos Glashutte is a fine investment if you don't want anything so flash as a Breitling etc.

Check out their selection here: NOMOS Glashütte

If you're on a budget, consider something like a Komono. They are quartz movement unfortunately, but this isn't a bad bet for the price IMO: MAGNUS | Black Black | KOMONO

I think a VOID also is worth considering. Perhaps this one: VOID | Watches | V03M-BL/BL
    They do actually produce what I believe to be 'nicer' watches, for example: VOID | Watches | V03D-GOLBOW
    However I personally refuse to pay over £100 for a quartz watch, hence it's a no-go for me.
    Some stunning watches there Kessler. The Komono ones aren't half bad either for the price.

Fashionisto
    Yeah - they don't look too bad do they? They look to use a reasonable off the shelf movement so should be pretty reliable too.

I'm currently massively sad at the fact I've just had to hand my Tag in to be serviced and won't have it back for three weeks. Though there is a slight part of me that thinks this could be a reason to justify another watch purchase...

+ Reply to Thread