FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
06-05-2014 06:05 PM
Amazing thanks for the feedback! Have to say having read this i'm sat thinking i'd go for a Quartz... Purely cause its more accurate and going to be less hassle getting it serviced etc etc.. What is it that makes people go for mechanical?! is it purely based on the intricacy and engineering that goes into making them??
Originally Posted by Kessler
06-05-2014 06:44 PM
There's a fair few reasons out there really. I can only speak for myself, but:
- As you say, the intricacies of the engineering in them appeals to my geeky side. There are some incredibly cool examples of this.
- I like the longevity. Sure, you are meant to get them serviced - but I know a couple of people who have had Rolexes for 30 years that have never been touched by a watchmaker. There's a certain appeal that the watch could well outlast me.
- Sweeping second hands are just plain cool
- They're usually a pretty sound investment, and rummaging around for the perfect used watch is something I enjoy
- I like watches. Plain and simple. I mean, a Ford Fiesta does pretty much everything that a Ferrari does, for less running costs and in some cases more comfort. But, I'd still be queuing up for the 'rarri. To me it's a similar mentality.
- The fact that they require movement from you appeals. I can't really elaborate on this too much, but it just feels a bit more organic to me.