FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Black Tie on a budget

I know this is probably quite a common thread on here but I just wanna re-clarify certain points and that.
    I'm 20 and gonna go to my first black tie events this summer, I'm going to three separate events and I want one suit to serve all 3.
    Ideally I don't want to be spending over 250 with tailoring (excluding shoes), I know the key to black tie is observing the rules and not trying to be bold and showboaty cause undoubtedly you'll make a fool of yourself. Having said that I don't want to blend into the crowd completely; so I was considering wear a shawl style lapel and maybe going for midnight blue rather than black. I dunno if you lot have any opinions regarding this.

Anyway I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for black tie in this price range.

Also if anyone knows what sort of basic tailoring would be needed to make it fit just so and how much it would be likely to cost.

Thanks

Style Icon
    Have you looked at Johnny Tuxedo? They've a sale on at the minute where you can pick up a midnight blue tux, a shirt and a bow tie all for 160, the lot. It doesn't have shawl lapels, but it's lined with a Union Jack lining which looks cool. I'm sure whatever alterations you would need done would easily be covered by the remainder of the 250 budget.

I looked at this company when I was looking for a tux last year and they seemed decent, though I've never bought from them so I can't give any advice based on experience. Worth a look though - definitely can't argue with the price...

Britannia Complete Outfit

Tuxedos and Dinner Suits at Johnny Tuxedo

Trend Setter
    Have you tried any of it on when your were looking do you know how they fit? True to size?

Style Icon
    I ended up getting a tux elsewhere so I don't know about the fit. Might be worth emailing them - according to their website the are tailors & design the suits themselves, so they should be able to let you know.

+ Reply to Thread