FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Wearing suits casually

This has probably been discussed over and over again but recently bought a suit for a wedding and well it got me thinking, I really enjoy wearing it and I haven't even left the house in it yet, it's a dark navy suit, nothing special, just off the shelf but decent fit.

I don't work in an office or a job where I need to wear a suit but what's wrong with wearing suits on a day-to-day basis provided you take care of them? I ask only because I am looking to get into the more expensive tailor made stuff and for the price I'd pay for them I'd want to get my moneys worth!

It's just a thought. I wouldn't wear a suit when going to the beach or on a night out but I'd enjoy wearing a suit in non-formal places you know, especially in the winter, I'd like to wear some nice tweed suits.

I think people did that in the sixties. If you watch Breakfast At Tiffany's, George Peppard dresses well and he just bums around his apartment all day.

Fashionisto
    Depends on the suit, how well tailored it is and how comfortable you are in it. I wouldn't go full shirt and tie 24/7 either

One of my mates has a suit and pretty much insists on wearing it everywhere. It's reasonably well fitted but it just doesn't work for him. I'd say there's a fine line - if you're rolling a suit outside work for the sake of it then I reckon it isn't going to work. If you wear a nicely tailored suit and accessorize it with sharp props and generally roll the well kept smart look, then it could work fantastically well.

Style Icon
    I find a full, formal suit is hard to wear casually. It can be done, but it's hard to pull off. Tweed or checked suits are easier to wear casually, than navy or black.

If you like the suit, and want to get more use out of it, you don't need to wear the whole thing at once. Use the jacket as odd jacket with shirt and chinos, and the trousers with shirt, tie, a fine knit jumper and a mac.

Fashionisto
    I wouldn't wear a suit all the time, not around the house for example or if I am going shopping.. Maybe. All I'm saying is I work in a place where I don't wear suits. Office guys wear suits as a uniform, I wear a shitty polyester polo and trousers when I'm in work stacking shelves. It's not very glamorous at all. I work in a dead-end job in retail and I feel that I want to make my style outside of work, well let's say, I want to feel better than I am if that makes sense to you.

I also have no social life, so there's not much chance of being invited to social events where suits are acceptable. I am on nobody's invitations for anything. So when I say I want to wear suits casually, I mean when I occasionally go outside to the cinema or going for a walk. It might be a little autistic of me but I like the fedora lounge style of that kid from TheReportOfTheWeek.

I am looking at 500/600 suits from ASuitThatFits.com, there's a studio local where I can get measured and the suits fitted. I am looking at getting some suits in tweed, a couple in med-grey and maybe charcoal for the winter. Over the summer I am going to be wearing shirts with sleeves rolled up, summer suit trousers, linen probably. That's my plan anyway, I'm just wondering what others do, any others like to wear suits? I guess it's a little eccentric and who knows I might even hate it but I need at least one decent suit so I'm going to get one and experiment, see if it works for me, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kessler View Post
    If you wear a nicely tailored suit and accessorize it with sharp props and generally roll the well kept smart look, then it could work fantastically well.
    What kind of props are we talking about here?
    Last edited by CosmicVagrant; 06-05-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Trend Setter
    I like the idea, but it has to be cut in a modern way and not look too formal.
    I own a taupe one like this and think it works well. Navy may be harder to pull off unless winter.

Trend Setter
    One show to look at for this is Frasier. Niles and Frasier both regularl wear tailoring everywhere, and while the style needs to be updated a bit, it's a good guide. Think Frasier himself is a good one for that. He often rocks the use of tweeds and wools, the mismatching trousers/jacket look, the use of long-sleeve polo and blazer etc. He's also a great character to emulate dress-sense wise because of his sharp use of earth-tones. Niles is a bit different because, apart from later on, he tends to always wear a double-breasted suit which has a style very much of its time.

Trend Setter
    James makes a good point there and it follows the Frasier line - the use of brown tones is automatically more casual in the eyes of some. Whether you agree with this prejudice against the colour/palette ('don't wear brown in town' rubbish) or not is irrelevant: use it. Also works well with tweeds and other countryside/heritage style looks.

Key area is knitwear too. Cardigans, sleeveless pullovers for a very retro take, roll-necks, the usual v/crew necks.

Honestly though if I were you I'd start just wearing a blazer everywhere, and find some smart trousers that work well with it. Much easier to pull off.

Style Icon
    I recommend checking out That Dapper Chap's blog - That Dapper Chap

He occasionally wears the full suit, but he's the master of casual blazer wear. Good for inspiration.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I like the idea, but it has to be cut in a modern way and not look too formal.
    I own a taupe one like this and think it works well. Navy may be harder to pull off unless winter.

That suit looks absolutely incredible!

I have lots of suits but none are worn casual - the cloths are just too formal, from a material and colour tone perspective. I too would love to wear more casual blazers etc but haven't yet invested in enough interesting and casual sports jackets / tweeds etc to pull it off with the rest of my casual wardrobe. I think something like the above, or a summer linen / seersucker could potential look ok on me, just a confidence thing really.

CosmicVagrant - pretty much all my suits are from asuitthatfits, I've had over 20 from them in the past and the quality is excellent. If you are spending that sort of money, my tip is to select one of the more extravagant tailors there, as some are a bit conservative and don't come up with any brave / creative ideas when selecting fabrics and options. Not sure which branch you are going to, but at the city road one I use the manager Elizabeth who certainly knows her stuff, and has a great eye for colour / detail. You really don't want to spend out on a lovely suit, only for it to 'blend in' and look like something from Topman. As an example, I opt for:

Fabric covered buttons - to either match or contrast with the main suit cloth.
    Obviously hand stitched lapel, and their notched lapels are good as the peak isn't so large.
    Coloured button holes / flower lapel hole
    Kissing cuff buttons (slight overlap)
    Coloured button stitching if you are going for normal buttons to contrast

..these are just a few ideas, but ultimately the tip is to try and make the suit look as unique as possible with options, and they can pretty much accommodate anything, so take advantage!

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmicVagrant View Post

I also have no social life, so there's not much chance of being invited to social events where suits are acceptable. I am on nobody's invitations for anything. So when I say I want to wear suits casually, I mean when I occasionally go outside to the cinema or going for a walk. It might be a little autistic of me but I like the fedora lounge style of that kid from TheReportOfTheWeek.
    The suit in that video is awful - style-wise it's really old fashioned and fit-wise, it's terrible. It looks like he borrowed it from his Dad.

Having said that, my vote is that if you want to wear a suit, then go for it - as long as you feel comfortable with your own style and what you are wearing and if it makes you happy, then you really shouldn't give two figs about what anyone might think.

+ Reply to Thread