FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    J8x

Trend Setter

Advice on shoes for summer

So, first of all apologies for not using the dedicated shoe section but thought I'd get more feedback in here.

My dilemma is that I need a new pair of smart, semi-formal shoes for some events coming up this summer (Races, Summer Ball, Graduation etc.) They're going to be worn mostly with a navy/grey suit or separates so I'm thinking a tan or mid brown will be best.

From looking round, these two pairs of Meermins have taken my fancy:

Now I know Double Monks have been quite popular in the past couple of years, but being on the tail end of the trend puts me off investing slightly. The Oxfords, I really do like but need some reassurance that I'm making a good choice as I already have a similar pair in black which makes me lean towards something different.

If anyone has any other suggestions, something similar, preferably under 200, 150 if possible then I'm all ears.

Any sizing advice on Meermin would help too.

I'm not sure if I would buy tan Monks now

Oxblood maybe

Monks still look cool but they gotta be on the way out soon

Style Icon
    Some leather loafers or even boat shoes will always look good and can be worn smart or casual. And of course brogues.

I think monk shoes will be round for quite a long time yet - bearing in mind they've been worn for hundreds of years! 95% of people won't have a clue what is or isn't a trendy shoe whilst at the races, what will stand out is if you are wearing a smart shoe appropriately. Even at the height of 'trend', and trendy item can still look terrible if worn with mismatching clothes. Just wear what you like the look of and you won't go wrong.

Trend Setter
    +1 to the Monks.

J8x

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Some leather loafers or even boat shoes will always look good and can be worn smart or casual. And of course brogues.

I think monk shoes will be round for quite a long time yet - bearing in mind they've been worn for hundreds of years! 95% of people won't have a clue what is or isn't a trendy shoe whilst at the races, what will stand out is if you are wearing a smart shoe appropriately. Even at the height of 'trend', and trendy item can still look terrible if worn with mismatching clothes. Just wear what you like the look of and you won't go wrong.
    I have some Sperry's and brogues already that will probably get some outings this summer but I want something a little smarter for the events I have coming up hence my interest in Meermin.

Suppose you're right about not many really being aware of the monk trend outside of 'menswear' circles. And yeah, burgundy monks would be ideal but haven't found any that I like in my price range, as the Meermin Shell Cordovan ones were pushing 300 if I remember correctly.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post

Monks still look cool but they gotta be on the way out soon
    Ah dont say that. I love monks and own 3 pairs haha. Sand suede, blue suede and dark brown leather. I wont be putting them to the back of the closet for a while.

Anyway, I think depending on your outfit (well I know its a suit) but lets say the cut of the suit would to me be the depending factor. Otherwise I would vote for Tassel loafers.

From what you suggested, I would pick the Oxfords. But the tassels will give your outfit a different feel.

+ Reply to Thread