FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter

That time of year when i question... budget.

So every Spring and every Autumn there comes a need to transition and to wear season appropriate clothes.
    Now there are things you can continue to use, things that come out of your wardrobe (or out from under the bed) and things that you want new.

I tend to browse online most days and regardless of whether I buy or not. I will put things in to the "bag" and then second check myself. Do I need this? Will it work in my wardrobe? Will it last?... etc

and then it happens I stumble upon something that is quite questionably out of my budget, not so much as a piece, but maybe the fact the outfit needs 2 pieces to make it the outfit i want. A mix-match suit for instance. (Which i want now!) I even thought about buying 2 whole suits so that I can mix both in different ways...

There is so much out there that is a want, and I am normally pretty good at drawing the line... but right now im on the edge (again!). I think to myself, I have no debts, no real responsibilities, a decent wage and really all that would happen to that money is go in to my savings.

So what is stopping me? Where did this budget come from? I think I need to re-think my budget, and re-think what it would mean.
    I dont tend to hunt down logos, I prefer a clean well cut item with minimal branding.

My question is. What makes your budget. Is it everything is game after bills, are you just more than comfortable, youre a student.
    What sets your precedence, and what advice can you give me to set mine?

Thanks guys, appreciate its a long post.

Style Icon
    If you've no responsibilities, not in debt & earning a decent wage then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Style Icon
    I tend to go through sprees and buy up a load at a time, more often than not it will be a challenge to myself to pick up some decent bargains from the likes of uniqlo. I tend to see an item I like, then find out where I can buy an alternative cheaper, for example a jeans cut / style, colour of polo shirt or chinos etc. The only area I don't scrimp on is suits and shoes.

I only buy what I can afford and never put clothes on an overdraft or credit card! Today I am off work and going to Bluewater for a lap, see what catches my eye for spring/summer. No budget as such but won't want to go over 150. With the likes of zara, Topman and uniqlo I'll easily pick up 4 decent items or more.

Trend Setter
    I don't budget for clothes per se, I just look at them individually and decide whether they're a long term investment piece or a fad. If they're something I'd potentially wear for years and years I pay good but if they're more of a short-term fashion I won't. I'm not rich by any means but have probably around a K a month disposable. I don't spend more than a few hundred per month usually, but if I see the right item at the right price I tend to fire immediately. I just treat clothes like any other investment rather than something to scrimp and save on.

Trend Setter
    Thanks for your comments guys. I didnt want this to come off materialistic (although it slightly is leaning in that direction), I wouldnt say I am and i wouldnt say im not. I like unbranded clothing that stands out for its quality rather than the big logo on its chest.
    I guess I do buy a bit of both, but very very rarely full price on the upper spectrum. I tend to stick to sales and promo codes where possible.

The idea is not to be wasteful, to make good choices and have a reasonable budget. I just need convincing to splurge because the mrs thinks otherwise.

I might as Gibbe said. Make some "investments" and tell my mrs thats what I am doing haha.
    That damn thumb, im defintely under it...

Style Icon
    I've always been horrible with money. I've never lived on credit, or spent money I don't have, but money has always been like sand in my hands. Too much stuff I want to buy - clothes, comics, music gear, vinyl records - or beer to be drunk in pubs. For me a budget is a must. I need to limit myself, otherwise I'll spend it all, without actually thinking too much about it.

I'll say this though, spend money on yourself while you don't have kids. Once you have kids, you'll be very limited in what you can responsibly spend on yourself. I still normally allow myself 150-200 of "pocket money", once bills, rent, food etc. is paid for, but before I could easily spend 100 on books alone per month.

So I think you've got healthy mental blocks. Asking "Do I really need this?" is not a bad thing. Make a wardrobe inventory. Figure out what you have, what you need and what you want, but perhaps don't need. That's how I do it, since I'm now on a limited budget. Thus I know what to go for on sales or charity shops, where you might need to act fast. Then I leave some room for those "I don't need this, but I NEED this!"-moments.

Trend Setter
    Thanks Marc, I appreciate the wisdom from someone who is now responsible for more than themselves to include another point of view. Maybe I should be a bit more care free whilst I can. One quick question...
    Do you ever look back and think you should have done something better with that money or saved the money you spent?

Thanks again

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Do you ever look back and think you should have done something better with that money or saved the money you spent?
    Not really. I had fun spending that money. Sure, I could've invested it more wisely. I could've had four beer in the pub instead of eight (for more than economic reasons). I could've saved more, but that's not the kind of person I am, or was. I don't live in regrets. I spent the money the way I did, because that's what I wanted then. And, as I said, I never spent money I didn't have. That is key.

I would probably have spent them differently today, but you can't think like that, and for someone who loves stuff, I'm actually not that materialistic.

Trend Setter
    Ok, I think I am convinced, time to shop.

Trend Setter
    ha, my mrs said its not hard to convince me

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last