FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Can a tie be worn casually?

So for purely vanity reasons, I've been told by aplenty of women I look great in formal wear. Especially wearing a tie, is there anyway I can wear tie casually? Has anyone found any decent lookbooks of this?

The casual I've found what works is:
    Oxford shirt, cardigan, chinos, shoes.

Any other suggestions? I want to be reap my rewards in female attention.

You can even wear with one with a dress shirt + jeans and some proper footwear such as brogues.

I think if I were to wear a Tie casually I would have to wear some kind of v-neck over the top of it. To me, to wear a Tie casually means that the Tie actually has to be covered up. In my mind I do not associate a fully visible and open Tie with the notion of casual. It just doesn't sit right with me. It's all conjuring up images of 'Sunday best' for me. Very tricky to pull off. It doesn't leave you with many options once you start to delayer depending upon the Weather (Unless you remove the Tie)

It seems to me a look best reserved for Autumn/Winter and not Spring/Summer.

Perhaps for Spring/Summer you might want to think about ditching the Tie for a Cravat! Goes lovely with a Shirt. And it doesn't have to be overtly in your face.

Trend Setter
    See: any American film with a preppy character in it - usually a teacher or someone who works in media. Justin Timberlake does it in most of the scenes he is in in that film he made with Mila Kunis. So much in fact that I remember specifically that he did...

For me ties are made to be worn as part of smart attire. It pisses me off that there's so many amazing options where shirts/ties/suits are concerned, and people still wear ties that are sloppily tied or without the top button done up. To be worn casually it would have to be mid-width (my choice, going by my age and general style), or skinny (had their day).

Trend Setter
    If anyone is watching the Europa League final, cracking example of shite tie on the Sevilla coach Unai Emery.

Style Icon
    Wearing a tie casually, as I see it, does not mean wearing it half done up, with one button of your shirt open. It's by wearing a matt textured tie, with knitwear and a non-formal shirt. Think business casual. Smart, but not formal.

I consider myself to wear ties casually. Some examples below. I wear ties with jeans, cords, chinos. Pretty much any kind of trouser.

Trend Setter
    You look good mate but it's not something that I think REALLY took off in the UK. People do wear it but it's always something I've associated more with Europe and the USA.

Style Icon
    I am not sure I quite follow you...

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the examples there Marc! Really helpful, your second picture is something very similar to what I actually wore on Tuesday.

@LondonGer - I guess this is why one of my friends suggested I looked dressed like the teacher from Glee!

cool to me

I wish i could wear a tie so casual like you and look cool, job well done.

+ Reply to Thread