FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last
    JEK

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    Well it depends on if you go double-denim or not, which is actually a super cool look when done well although it does divide. I think if you want double denim, look at the washes of jeans you like - I tend to favour darker pairs so for me my light denim jacket is actually a better fit. But overall I prefer the cut and that of the AS one to my boxier River Island one (looking to replace that with a light wash AS one when the sales/discount codes roll out).

The measurements are from a Medium. I've never really measured an arm before, so I just did it from the shoulder seam to the very end of the cuff. It's actually a lovely slim fit, and my chest measurement is a 37-8 for info.
    That's promising, I'm also 37-37". I think I'll order this one. Mens Shadow Denim Jacket (Light Grey) | ALLSAINTS.com
    The grey will work with all colours of trouser, so I think it will be the most versatile.
    Last edited by JEK; 15-05-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    Regards
    Johan

JEK

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by McCoy View Post
    On the Nudies, I've never owned a pair of dry ones but they seem a bit of a project to me. Others can advise more. I can attest though that they are lovely quality - got a Nudie denim shirt too which is awesome​.
    Yeah, I'm also a bit hesitant. I don't wash my jeans that often, but 6 months... The smell will be strong enough to raise the dead by then.
    Regards
    Johan

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by JEK View Post
    That's promising, I'm also 37-37". I think I'll order this one. Mens Shadow Denim Jacket (Light Grey) | ALLSAINTS.com
    The grey will work with all colours of trouser, so I think it will be the most versatile.
    I bought the same jacket a few weeks ago - it's a really nice jacket.

JEK

Trend Setter
    I think I will place an order from All Saints soon then. I was thinking about trying out their shirts as well. Anyone with experience with their western inspired shirts like this one? Mens Wolfson Shirt (Oxblood Check) | ALLSAINTS.com
    Sleeves look rather long so I'm thinking it might fit me...
    Regards
    Johan

Style Icon
    I think I will place an order from All Saints soon then. I was thinking about trying out their shirts as well. Anyone with experience with their western inspired shirts like this one? Mens Wolfson Shirt (Oxblood Check) | ALLSAINTS.com
    Sleeves look rather long so I'm thinking it might fit me...
    I don't really like that shirt - it's very dark and hard to make it work with other clothes.

If I were you, I'd go for a light coloured plain shirt. A white shirt would look great with that jacket, is a great colour for spring / summer and would also go well with the jackets you already own. Team it up with the grey denim, some black skinnys and your oxblood boots and you're sorted. Or get a grey shirt for a tonal look.

If you're worried about arm length, you could always opt for a half sleeve shirt, or just roll a long-sleeve one.

COS - as I have recently discovered - do great shirts. Nice slim fits, good quality and not expensive at all. I find the AS shirt sizings a bit all over the place... COS do them by chest size in increments of an inch, which can't be faulted.

JEK

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    I don't really like that shirt - it's very dark and hard to make it work with other clothes.

If I were you, I'd go for a light coloured plain shirt. A white shirt would look great with that jacket, is a great colour for spring / summer and would also go well with the jackets you already own. Team it up with the grey denim, some black skinnys and your oxblood boots and you're sorted. Or get a grey shirt for a tonal look.

If you're worried about arm length, you could always opt for a half sleeve shirt, or just roll a long-sleeve one.

COS - as I have recently discovered - do great shirts. Nice slim fits, good quality and not expensive at all. I find the AS shirt sizings a bit all over the place... COS do them by chest size in increments of an inch, which can't be faulted.
    I think you're right. I actually like the dark colour (although more for AW), but as you say it's hard to make it work with other clothes. I've just ordered the grey denim BTW, so hopefully I'm one step closer to a good wardrobe now.
    I actually do have an off white shirt that fits okay, not ideal, but if I layer it under the denim jacket no one will see.

I have a few shirts that fits good in the body, but with too short sleeves, so I always roll them, but I find it rather annoying not to have the option to wear them un-rolled. I'll look into COS, thanks for the suggestion.
    Regards
    Johan

Style Icon
    I think you're right. I actually like the dark colour (although more for AW), but as you say it's hard to make it work with other clothes.
    I've two shirts in a similar colour to the Wolfson one. They rarely get worn.

Not sure if it's any help, but the sleeve length on the COS shirt I got measures 25.5" from the stitching at the top of the shoulder to the end of the sleeve. I just checked.

My measuring tape disappeared a few days ago - found it in the laundry bin earlier. The joys of having kids.

Trend Setter
    No, I haven't tried Asos chinos. I will try them out for sure. I'm afraid the Uniqlo shirts are too short in the sleeves for my gorilla arms...
    Do you have any suggestion on good versatile shoes? I'm tempted to buy a pair of good tan brogues, but that's probably not the smartest choice for summer...
    Some might disagree but you really need at least two pairs of shoes. A brogue is fantastic for winter and cooler months but probably too hot for summer use. Maybe some boat shoes would work well, plenty of styles to choose from but if you want something that will last go for a timeless design without trend driven detailing. In leather maybe, with drainage eyelets they will allow some heat to escape.

JEK

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    I've two shirts in a similar colour to the Wolfson one. They rarely get worn.

Not sure if it's any help, but the sleeve length on the COS shirt I got measures 25.5" from the stitching at the top of the shoulder to the end of the sleeve. I just checked.

My measuring tape disappeared a few days ago - found it in the laundry bin earlier. The joys of having kids.
    That sounds a little bit on the short side, but depending on the shoulder width it might be enough. The shirts do look nice though so I might give it a shot. Was it a medium with 25.5" sleeve?
    I also quite like the silk-polo they have: Silk cotton polo shirt
    Regards
    Johan

JEK

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Some might disagree but you really need at least two pairs of shoes. A brogue is fantastic for winter and cooler months but probably too hot for summer use. Maybe some boat shoes would work well, plenty of styles to choose from but if you want something that will last go for a timeless design without trend driven detailing. In leather maybe, with drainage eyelets they will allow some heat to escape.
    Boat shoes are definely an option. Or perhaps a pair of loafers...
    Regards
    Johan

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last