FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last
    JEK

Trend Setter

Wardrobe revamp - how should I spend my money?

Hi guys,

I don't have a lot of clothes and I only really have a few pieces that actually fits me well. I'm tall and slim with very long limbs, so it's really difficult to find clothes that fit and I used to make lot of wrong purchases.

I'm just getting really tired of wearing clothes that don't fit me well, so I think it's time to revamp my wardrobe.
    I have around 500 to spend right now, which is not a lot, but hopefully enough to secure the basics - at least for the summer season.

This is all I got which I think fits me well:

Grey t-shirt
    White t-shirt
    Blue and white gingham linen shirt
    Light blue unconstructed summer blazer (it's at the tailor now, getting the sleeves lengthened - hopefully it will turn out OK)
    Navy trench coat
    Brown/oxbloodish leather boots
    Grey nubuck derbies with green contrast soles

So as you can see I'm in dire need of clothes and footwear. I hope you guys can help me spend my money wisely.

I would describe my style (or rather the style i like) as timeless and practical. I like clothing inspired by workwear, military and heritage.

So how would you spend 500 bucks if you were me?

I think some sort of summer-appropiate footwear and a light-weight jacket and chinos/trouser is on the top of my list, but which kind of footwear and jacket, I don't know.
    Regards
    Johan

Trend Setter
    Very long limbs means 36in I assume? Everything you currently own will almost certainly go with anything.

For the lightweight jacket, maybe a denim or a bomber jacket? If not a blazer (see below). Summer appropriate footwear, I assume you mean some trainers or plimsolls?

I'd suggest:

1 pair of slim/skinny jeans
    1 pair of shorts
    Some shirts - think print, Oxford cottons, or other smart/casual
    A cardigan that is summer appropriate - to be worn as an outer layer or under the blazer
    Some slim/skinny chinos. I'd recommend 1 navy, 1 black, 1 brown, maybe 1 bright/adventurous pair.

If you have budget, maybe another blazer in a darker hue? A navy, a grey, or a brown, something versatile? You could get the most of the above at Uniqlo, ASOS, Zara, topman etc. Or maybe you'd like a workwear type blazer? http://www.jigsaw-online.com/product...ar-jacket-8790
    Last edited by McCoy; 15-05-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Trend Setter
    Seeing as your budget isn't huge but you lack options how about addressing the next 4 months then maybe you'll have more saved to do the same for autumn/winter? I'd go with pairs of beige, navy and maybe green or red chino shorts cos they'll go with near any shirt or t-shirt. Then buy one quality pair of fitted jeans as every man needs them. A pair of plain white Converse. A couple of sweaters in grey and navy. Maybe a plain shirt and a raincoat. All of those things will fit with each other and rotate easily and should be enough to get you through the summer. You can then add more experimental or interesting bits as and when. When winter comes the sweaters, tees and jeans will still be good to go with heavier shirts and jackets you can buy them. I'm no guru, but that was my strategy when I started from scratch this time last year. I did buy a couple of pairs of good quality Italian leather shoes too but that may be a bit expensive for you here.

Trend Setter
    By bucks do you mean dollars (looking at your location surely you mean euros?)? It's worth bearing in mind because $500 isn't going to stretch anywhere near as far as or € would.

JEK

Trend Setter
    Regarding the currency, it is in pounds. I might actually be able to 650 pounds if I stretch the budget.
    And yes, I usually need 36" in length on trousers.

I was thinking about investing in a pair of Nudie Grim Tim jeans. Should I get the dry selvage version or just a normal pair? Grim Tim Dry Selvage - Nudie Jeans Co Online Shop

Regarding chinos - are GAP chinos any good? They're cheap and comes in 36" length, but will they last? I must admit that I'm more into buying quality that lasts many years and I've been thinking about getting a pair of Incotex chinos... They're very expensive though and the question is if they're worth it.

Shirts are almost the hardest bit. They tend to be minimum an inch too short in the sleeves and casual shirts generally don't come in extra sleeve-length versions.

Plain white converse seems like a good idea, Gibbe84. Maybe a pair of rivieras as well, for hot days? Rivieras - Cotton Mesh Slip-On Shoes*|*MR PORTER

The jigsaw blazer looks interesting, but I think I need something more slim-fitting... I do like blazers however, so maybe I should look for a dark summer blazer as you suggested.

A denim jacket is also something I've wanted for a long time. Any suggestion on a slim-fitting one with extra long sleeves?

Thanks for helping me out guys!
    Regards
    Johan

Fashionisto
    I think it is doable to get a good few basics with 500-650. I personally would give the gap chinos a miss. Have you tried Asos's own brand chinos? Their quality and construction is much better than Zara's in my opinion, and they are slightly cheaper! As for shirts, check out uniqlo. Bought an oxford from them and the quality easily rivals much much more expensive shirts in terms of fit, material and construction (not even one loose thread!) maybe spend a little more on your shoes.

A denim jacket would always be a good option for a more casual take. Go for something decent with this too, maybe Levi's.

Trend Setter
    AllSaints denim jackets tend to be good, no idea on the arm length for you but I've just measured the arm length on my AS Rinse jacket from last season and it is approx 26 inches.

JEK

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    I think it is doable to get a good few basics with 500-650. I personally would give the gap chinos a miss. Have you tried Asos's own brand chinos? Their quality and construction is much better than Zara's in my opinion, and they are slightly cheaper! As for shirts, check out uniqlo. Bought an oxford from them and the quality easily rivals much much more expensive shirts in terms of fit, material and construction (not even one loose thread!) maybe spend a little more on your shoes.

A denim jacket would always be a good option for a more casual take. Go for something decent with this too, maybe Levi's.
    No, I haven't tried Asos chinos. I will try them out for sure. I'm afraid the Uniqlo shirts are too short in the sleeves for my gorilla arms...
    Do you have any suggestion on good versatile shoes? I'm tempted to buy a pair of good tan brogues, but that's probably not the smartest choice for summer...

AllSaints denim jackets tend to be good, no idea on the arm length for you but I've just measured the arm length on my AS Rinse jacket from last season and it is approx 26 inches.
    Thanks for measuring for me! That's from the shoulder seam, I take it? Which size? What's most versatile when it comes to denim jackets? Light og dark blue?
    Regards
    Johan

Trend Setter
    Well it depends on if you go double-denim or not, which is actually a super cool look when done well although it does divide. I think if you want double denim, look at the washes of jeans you like - I tend to favour darker pairs so for me my light denim jacket is actually a better fit. But overall I prefer the cut and that of the AS one to my boxier River Island one (looking to replace that with a light wash AS one when the sales/discount codes roll out).

The measurements are from a Medium. I've never really measured an arm before, so I just did it from the shoulder seam to the very end of the cuff. It's actually a lovely slim fit, and my chest measurement is a 37-8 for info.

Trend Setter
    On the Nudies, I've never owned a pair of dry ones but they seem a bit of a project to me. Others can advise more. I can attest though that they are lovely quality - got a Nudie denim shirt too which is awesome​.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last