FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Opinions on white jeans

So, I just read an Esquire list of 20 summer style mistakes and one of them was skinny white jeans. Do you guys agree with that? All my jeans are a slim to skinny fit (I have fairly slim legs and anything wider just looks ridiculous) and I was looking forward to wearing my white jeans as part of a riviera-style look I'm going for at the moment.

Fashionisto
    I'd say more than anything, that it depends where you are going to wear them. If you're on holiday somewhere hot, they would probably work well, but if you're trying to wear them down the local club, or beer garden, you're going to look like you're trying way too hard.

I'm sure others will disagree with me, but personally speaking, I think there's nothing worse than turning up at a place in inappropriate clothing. But then there are the rare few who can get away with wearing anything they want and make it look cool!

Style Icon
    If i had my way they'd be the only trousers I ever wear, I love them. Is this an esquire US site article by any chance? If so then it would make sense as white jeans and also skinny jeans for some reason seem to be look down upon in the US, it's more a European thing.

Edit - just seen the article - http://www.esquire.co.uk/style/fashi...kes-of-summer/

Meh to what they think, you can almost 100% guarantee that at some point during the summer they'll be featuring hottest dressed blokes / summer style etc that will contain at least 1 pair of slim white jeans, I'll bet money on it.
    Last edited by Creed; 16-05-2014 at 06:20 PM.

Trend Setter
    Nothing wrong with them! We can't all be the same wearing only indigo denim! I love my slim white chinos, so long as people have issues I really don't mind, makes them less commonplace which can work in your favour!

Nat

Style Icon
    Yeah I agree with a lot of their list, but they're wrong on this one. I tend to go with off-white as I find them a little more wearable, but will be picking up some white ones this summer too

Trend Setter
    I really like them a lot, but think a lot of it comes down to the weather. In Italy, France or Spain it's easy to rock them with a blue or green linen blazer with driving shoes and look amazing, but in the UK you'd look weird and stand out like a sore thumb. Would love to dress like that, but just doesn't suit our weather. Think here they'd maybe look more suitable with black Breton knits and Converse style trainers going for a more simple look. I love Italian tailoring and would love to rock that style here, but it just doesn't work. When I leave the UK again in a year or so I'll be going with that look regularly in the spring and summer.

FashionBeans Legend
    I bought a pair a few weeks ago - must have jinxed things coz it's been raining ever since. They'll definitely be getting a good airing this summer though.

Will be wearing them pretty much as Gibbes described - with Cons, a tee and a denim jacket / knit. The Riviera style would look a tad misplaced in the West of Ireland.

Trend Setter
    Interesting replies, thanks guys. Extending the discussion a little bit onto what Dorian was touching on, is it possible that the whole Riveria look (and any other style inspired by a particular location for that matter) only looks suitable in the place it originated from/similar places? I really, really like the Riviera look, with its neutral, summery colours and lighter fabrics, but is it possible it's not suited to somewhere like the UK?

I guess where I live (Bournemouth) is probably one of the closest places to a Riviera-type location that you're going to get in the UK (not that that's saying much!), so maybe I can get away with it here?

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by merc05 View Post
    Interesting replies, thanks guys. Extending the discussion a little bit onto what Dorian was touching on, is it possible that the whole Riveria look (and any other style inspired by a particular location for that matter) only looks suitable in the place it originated from/similar places? I really, really like the Riviera look, with its neutral, summery colours and lighter fabrics, but is it possible it's not suited to somewhere like the UK?

I guess where I live (Bournemouth) is probably one of the closest places to a Riviera-type location that you're going to get in the UK (not that that's saying much!), so maybe I can get away with it here?
    With any look, it's not really so much where you wear it as to how you wear it. If you are confident in what you have on, you'll carry it off with ease.

The Riviera style can look really good no matter where it's worn. Once it's a sunny day, that is!

Style Icon
    The article only shows one persons point of view with someone else saying OK.
    White, White can be too much. this might be a happy medium.

Palmero T Stone Tailored Cotton Trousers - REISS

+ Reply to Thread