FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

How to wear a polo shirt

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121623...n/photostream/

I recently bought this Ralph Lauren polo shirt. What are your opinions? Does it look better to leave it untucked? Leave the top button done up or undone? Or wear it with the collar popped?

What are your thoughts on polo's?
    Last edited by Dom87656; 19-05-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Style Icon
    I usually wear them untucked with the top button closed.

Definitely wouldn't wear that one with the collar popped - it looks naff. To be honest, I think all Ralph Lauren polos look naff.

Trend Setter
    Done up with the placket tucked under the collar. Tuck in if it's particularly long, otherwise only do so if you're wearing it in a smarter context (like with smartish trousers, or smart jeans/chinos) and wear a belt.

I like polos, would like some long sleeve ones, only got the one.

Trend Setter
    not a fan of popping the colour...
    buttoned up.
    untucked.

same as DorianGrape. Not really a fan of RL but I like polos in general and pulled mine out of the wardrobe now the weather is better last night.

Trend Setter
    If you have to go for generic mass-produced polos buy Fred Perry (or Moncler if you have the extra 25-30) instead. RL ones are way too baggy made for middle-aged men or Americans who don't wear fitted clothes. FP also is a little dull, but at least theirs are slim fit with fitted arms. Must admit I like polos for work as I'm too lazy to wear anything decent. Can't do the top buttons up though as my neck is too big. Think that look can look decent if you're slim. If you're bigger just wear it unbuttoned and untucked.

Fashionisto
    Atop a horse.

Trend Setter
    Speaking of Fred Perry, this is how I usually wear mine: Instagram

A while ago I used to button all the buttons up to the top (shirts too), but lately I just couldn't be arsed because of the heat.

Fashionisto
    I think Uniqlo polo are a better fitting than RL. I don't think you get that much for your money with RL polos. J Linderberg are about the best of the 'expensive' polos, I have heard good things about Orlebar Brown polos too.

Fashionisto
    As for how to wear it, if your wearing with smart trousers tucked in, if with chinos or jeans always un-tucked IMO

Des

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by James100 View Post
    I think Uniqlo polo are a better fitting than RL. I don't think you get that much for your money with RL polos. J Linderberg are about the best of the 'expensive' polos, I have heard good things about Orlebar Brown polos too.
    Which RL polo though? I get that theres an aversion with the logo but their range moves with the times considering its a basic mens staple. Considering the different contemporary fits, sizes, material, designs its unlikely that none will suit. JL are ok but their conventional uninspiring style is a reason they stay primarily on the golf course.

+ Reply to Thread