FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

Grad Ball - Smart Casual Blazers

Hey guys,

So two weeks away I'm going to a grad ball with my girlfriend. I don't want to wear a suit and want to distinguish myself from the students.

I'm wanting to wear jeans, brogues a shirt either oxford or dress not sure yet. I'm wanting a blazer to team up with this combo but not sure where to go color wise. Jeans will be blue, brogues tan and shirt white. Anyone got any recommendations? I'm looming more along the lines of topman or asos as I don't wanna chuck a load of cash at it.

Thanks

Trend Setter
    Might depend on your build, Topman blazers can be flattering on slimmer builds but Asos ones might be better if you're bigger? As for colour, light grey, navy or beige would all be safe options, there are loads of bright ones out there if you wanted to stand out though.

Think you could pull off a distinguishing thing without doing denim though, as it sounds in danger of looking too underdressed. You could wear 'separates' Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 76 – Separating Your Suits | FashionBeans with trousers or even chinos as opposed to jeans, as if it's a black tie event you may be standing out for the wrong reasons.

Would likely look less underdressed but still formal enough. Just a suggestion anyway.

Trend Setter
    You have quite explained the formality of the event but I tend to agree with Perry on this one. I wouldnt be going in jeans. It is always better to be overdressed than underdressed to these occassions. I am not a fan of the jean and brogue look anyhow.

Definitely wear a pair of trousers whether you mix and match or as a suit. Otherwise you risk ending up looking like either you dont care, you tried too hard but failed or you dont own any trousers.

Jeans + formal shirt = terrible

If you must do this, it has to be an oxford imo

I saw a Paul Smith velvet blazer in navy with a subtle grey polkadot pattern in TK Maxx just last night - sounds like it could work and would dress it up a bit too

Trend Setter
    Yeah not something I'd usually wear to be honest Ivan just thinking of ways round going black tie. Think I'll probably just wear a suit with an unbuttoned shirt and pocket square for some detailing.

I know a couple of guys going so will try and gauge what they're gonna wear.

Trend Setter
    Why not this

http://www.topman.com/en/tmuk/produc...37?bi=1&ps=200

And a pair of skinny jeans or trousers in black with some black/burgundy shoes/Chelsea boots?

Trend Setter
    Thanks for the input guys.

Decided to stop being awkward about and just go for black tie. I'm not purchasing, gonna hire but have been reading a few guides to help me out.

Trend Setter
    I think if the formality is set, then that is half the battle. Dont try to fight it. Black tie is pretty strict and most would say a tuxedo at minimum.
    You always see those articles in GQ where celebs try be darish or under-dressed on the red carpet and it just doesnt work.
    I think hiring is a good option on a budget. For me these events dont tend to come up all too often. This blazer from reiss I wore to my company xmas dinner (semi formal) but I wanted to dress up. might be another option, still in sale.

Milano Black Two Button Textured Blazer - REISS

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post
    Jeans + formal shirt = terrible
    Is this one of those fashion faux pas?

I usually team up my white button down dress shirt with black skinnys and a harrington\blazer and think it looks pretty good. Though It is riding the 'I don't know how to dress myself' look pretty close I suppose.

Trend Setter
    I don't think its a faux pas, just preference.

Provided it's not done in the dad way you'll be fine.

+ Reply to Thread