FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

How quick is your Tailor?

Hello,

I just popped into my local Tailor to have 3 pairs of Jeans taken up and 1 pair to be tapered. The turn around time is 1 working week. I thought that was quite slow.

How quick is your Tailor?

Style Icon
    A fair few offer a same day service or even 1 hour for basics like hemming but it often costs much more. Mine are done usually within a week, dependent on the type of work. I don't think 1 week is too unreasonable.

Des

Style Icon
    If they're busy then fair enough and you're in the queue. Personally I think a week for a professional to hem some jeans is a bit excessive. Reminds me of the other day when i got my car tyres replaced. Asked if I could wait around but the receptionist informed me that they were doing another car first and then mine would take 35mins for each tyre. Say what?

Style Icon
    Alterations Lady takes a couple of days usually.

Shoe Repair Dude is fantastic - I gave him some boots to fix on Friday at 11 am.. the heels were coming away. I had them back an hour later, costed only €4.

Tyre Changing Man takes about 3 mins to fix a puncture, 5-10 mins to change two tyres. €65 for a new tyre, €10 for a puncture repair.

Plumber Dude takes around 40 mins to replace a broken toilet bowl, as I recently discovered. €50.

I can change a lightbulb in around 20 seconds. Doesn't cost me anything.

Fashionisto
    I literally laughed.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Alterations Lady takes a couple of days usually.

Shoe Repair Dude is fantastic - I gave him some boots to fix on Friday at 11 am.. the heels were coming away. I had them back an hour later, costed only 4.

Tyre Changing Man takes about 3 mins to fix a puncture, 5-10 mins to change two tyres. 65 for a new tyre, 10 for a puncture repair.

Plumber Dude takes around 40 mins to replace a broken toilet bowl, as I recently discovered. 50.

I can change a lightbulb in around 20 seconds. Doesn't cost me anything.
    I feel like the worlds biggest mug at this point!

Shoe repair man in Guildford - 60 for new leather soles please, collect in 1 week
    Tyre change - 1100 for 4 new tyres, we don't have them in stock so come back at the weekend
    Plumber man - 65 to ring my doorbell, 200 in total to eventually get a radiator working
    Lightbulb - I just light a candle as I'm now so poor.

As for tailoring, I'm seriously considering learning how to do basics myself such as leg shortening, I'm sure it's not rocket science and I can do it whilst watching the news at home. There does seem to be huge variations in alteration prices these days.

1100 .. BMW run flats by any chance? Been there done that !

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    1100 .. BMW run flats by any chance? Been there done that !
    That's the one! And judging by your location we are both customers of sytner sunningdale! I've had 2 new alloys out of them for the 19" wheels, Diane is the decent one in there. I've sold it now so I instead can get some slightly cheaper mercedes tyres - I say cheaper but still a rip off!

If you are over sunningdale way, I take mine to staines dry cleaners for basic stuff and zip yard in staines for something a bit more advanced. Both usually take under a week.

Well on my side it's kind of cheating tailor wise, my brother is a tailor. Leave 'em in the morning and pick it up in the evening at his place.

The man who changes my lightbulb takes for days though

Trend Setter
    Mine takes 3-4 days.

Dropped some jeans off recently and was told 10 days though because they were behind. Piss take.

+ Reply to Thread