FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Outer Top Wear - Hols + Jeans shopping in London

I'm off on hols soon and am drastically short of any sort of outerwear to go over tees (normal & polos) for the nippy evenings.
    It will be to go with jeans (indigo) and t-shirts.
    I want something that does up full length down the front (so not jumpers/sweaters).
    A full-on jacket would be too much.

Was originally thinking cardys and/or smarter versions of (..for want of a better description..) tracky tops (I once had a nice black Ted Baker top like this, v casual, not too sporty, but smart-ish!).
    And then today only I had the idea of a casual summer'y blazer, probably unstructured, in navy or dark coloured, to go with most staple-coloured tees.

I've only had a quick look so far cos spending most my spare time on jeans-shopping research, on the Next (blasphemy?!) website, just for ideas. They seem to have a few. Even in there though they're mostly arounfd the 80-100 mark, so I'm guessing for a half-decent one this is the sort of price I'm looking at.

Any recommendations where to look for moderately-priced decent ones/recent-purchase recommendations would be gratefully received.
    Or any other ideas for similar type of outerwear too.

On the jeans front, going shopping on Saturday, just heading to Carnaby Street/Regent Street.
    Of my research, ones I like the look of are G-Star (maybe), Kooples, Hugo Boss, Pepe, Replay, maybe Diesel, Nudie, and if all else fails, Levis. I must find something there amongst that lot!

Cheers

Style Icon
    Zara have some nice linen blazers for around that price mark in navy & other colours.

Reiss had something like you are talking about - a zip up thingy that was smart looking but casual - in stone. Was going to get one but they sold out before I got round to it.

Style Icon
    If you are over that way, my normal routine is I'd get off at Piccadilly Circus and walk up regent street for:

Uniqlo: jeans, plain cardi, plain tee shirt, oxford shirts
    Keep going and a bit further on the right, Reiss for: quality polos, accessories, tee shirts
    Keep going, at oxford circus Topman (top level) for: smart knitwear, smart casual trousers, casual blazer, shoes. Downstairs for denim
    Then head right up Oxford street for zara: tees, polos
    And H&M for: jersey wear

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Topman (top level) for: smart knitwear,
    Are the jumpers in Topman any good? I've started browsing that website since you've mentioned them so often & I've seen a couple of jumpers that look OK. From the pics, they appear to be fairly slim fit... a lot of shops are stocking regular fit in knits at the minute and though I like the look of them, they really don't suit me at all.

Trend Setter
    Topman is a bit hit and miss and not for me. Kind of like Mango in terms of can look good online, but generally disappointed on outcome.
    I would rather save some money and buy something a little more costly elsewhere.

Des

Trend Setter
    Haven't been to the flagship Topman in years. Have they still got the vintage section?

You could just stroll round the corner and head to Liberty as they should have a decent selection of denim under one roof.

Trend Setter
    If a 'full on jacket is too much' it sounds like you want a lightweight one. So a lightweight bomber is probably your best bet. Maybe a lightweight denim or for smartness a cotton/linen blazer as above.

In terms of cardis, a lightweight cardi (defo recommend Uniqlo) or for a thicker and bigger statement a shawl neck cardigan can make really good outerwear. Other approach could be to wear a warm shirt but unbuttoned - so a contrasting denim, a chambray, a flannel/check shirt would all look good and have an edge. Get the fit right and you'll nail it.

Fashionisto
    DG, thanks, yeah had a quick bit more look around after I posted and spotted the Zara ones, they look good, deffo will be checking them out.

Creed, yeah I had exactly planned to get off at Piccadilly as it goes! My priority is the jeans, so I'll head to the bottom end of Carnaby Street, and the part of Regent Street nearest there. Then once I've got the jeans I'll be taking in the other places for the rest that I need (which isn't that much, just an outer top or 2 really. I'm good for tees/polos.
    As per Des mentioned, I spotted the Vintage denim section on the Topman website, they look like something I could check out, but they must only
    do them in their biggest stores.
    I looked at Reiss for Blazers... HAH! Not this time around, methinks!

Des, yeah Libertys is on my planned route for the jeans, cheers.

McCoy, yeah I don't really want a jacket, for this occasion. Though I did see a lovely classic black bomber on Ted Baker yesterday!
    Yep, spotted the cardis in Uniqlo, will check them out, ta.
    I've got a grey shawl neck cardi! bloody hell, keep forgetting about that!! nice one!

yeah, I have some shirts, long-sleeved, that I'm taking. I'm ok on those evenings, if it's nippy I can wear an under-tee.
    My blazer-or-simiar requirement is for the eves wear I don't wear a LSS, like when I just want to chuck something over a tee.

I did 'discover' (for me, hadn't seen them before) jersey blazers last night though. Looks like it could do the job I want, on the more casual side of smart, a blazer that I won't be worried about chucking somewhere when out. This one looks ok, although not particular summer'y:
    Navy blue jersey blazer - blazers - coats / jackets - men

Although navy's not summer'y, I'm still in the 'building wardrobe staples' phase, and so it will go with the mostly staple tees/tops that I have, ya know?! I need a staple first, then can start going for more seasonal stuff.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    Are the jumpers in Topman any good? I've started browsing that website since you've mentioned them so often & I've seen a couple of jumpers that look OK. From the pics, they appear to be fairly slim fit... a lot of shops are stocking regular fit in knits at the minute and though I like the look of them, they really don't suit me at all.
    The quality of materials is not very good (cotton / wool / synthetic mix) however the style, cuts and sizing is good. They are better quality overall than say ASOS. Being a mixed fabric they are hard wearing though - and by comparison when I've bought 89 jumpers from all saints and reiss that bobble within 3 or 4 wears, actually the Topman ones suddenly look good value!

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    The quality of materials is not very good (cotton / wool / synthetic mix) however the style, cuts and sizing is good. They are better quality overall than say ASOS. Being a mixed fabric they are hard wearing though - and by comparison when I've bought 89 jumpers from all saints and reiss that bobble within 3 or 4 wears, actually the Topman ones suddenly look good value!
    Might give them a shot so. I hate bobbly jumpers.. I don't care if it's made from the bum fluff of virgin goats reared on the finest organic grain in the hills of the Himilayas - I just couldn't be arsed dealing with bobbles.

+ Reply to Thread