FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Tan loafers, blue jeans, and what?

I got these:
    Leather Wes Penny Loafer - Shoes Polo Ralph Lauren - Ralph Lauren UK

.. to replace my old Aldo similars, which I loved but were a bit bulky/dated/knackered.
    In hindsight, I might've gone for the dark brown suede versions, but hey ho, I think I'm gonna keep these 'uns cos I still like them and they should do for a staple.

But I just tried them on with my (fucked) 501s, and tried a few of diff tops, untucked oxfords, crews, but most didn't look right, only thing that looked ok was an Allsaints polo in a light pink-grey colour. And a light grey v-neck uniqlo sweater looked ok-ish.
    Are button-down shirts too non-casual? doesn't seem to suit the look.
    Do I need to keep it casual, but not 'crew-neck-tee' casual?

So, tan loafers, blue jeans, what other options up top do you think?

Also, socks or no socks? (for any combos)
    Cheers

Fashionisto
    First off I'd always suggest going no sock if you can, especially in the summer.

Seems strange that you're not keen on them with a shirt and jeans as that's the most obvious fit that springs to mind. How slim fitting are your 501's and have you tried cuffing them? Untucked oxfords should look pretty cool with them.

Maybe its not the top half that's the problem, rather the jeans? Jeans aren't always the most summery option and the loafers might look a lot better with a pair of chinos or shorts, which I think should make them look better with shirts and tees.

Fashionisto
    I think you might be right, it's probably these particular jeans. I had my 501s tailored, so they're slim through the bottom half now. They're pretty much next to useless now cos can't even turn them up (cos of the taking-in job on the outseam, inside).
    I should be patient and wait till I've got a decent fitting pair, with the cuffing option. I'm going jeans shopping tomorrow so will have a better idea.

And yes, agree, standard jeans are not overly summery, but I'm all out of jeans now, and want/need a staple indigo pair first and foremost.
    And going on hols real soon so my clothes budget is not much at the mo.
    Though I am considering getting a pair of chinos, but on that front, I really wanted a light pair (classic stone/beige type colour). Since I'll have blue jeans, I don't want to get navy chinos (yet) too, as all I've have is dark long bottoms.
    So my next question would be, would the same tan loafers go with stone chinos, do you think? I know they would with navy, wasn't sure on the other.

And yeah, I do have some navy and some stone chino shorts, but the place I am going to is pretty windy/nippy in the evenings, so I'm looking for a longer-legged option. And also for the travelling there/back portion of the trip.

I could try the stone chinos with the loafers for a colour match, I guess!

Cheers dude.

Style Icon
    Stone chinos would definitely go with the tan loafers. Not beige though. Not because beige wouldn't go with tan but because beige is possibly the most disgusting colour ever invented. Nothing should ever be beige - not chinos, not walls, not even soup.

I'd agree that blue jeans generally aren't very summery - different if you roll them though. You could always go for a really light denim and cropped jeans are a good summery option.

Fashionisto
    haha, know what you mean. Though I did have my heart set on Allsaints for chinos, and the light ones they do... well they call them cream, but we all know what that means...
    Mens Charge Chino (Sand) | ALLSAINTS.com
    they're beige, right?

Any ideas where to go to look for decent quality slim-not-skinny chinos... that come in stone?
    75-80 is about my upper limit. Happy to go cheaper, but would like them to be soft/comfy, not the hard cheap cotton stuff.

And yeah, jeans + summer must equal cuffed, agreed.
    I could just get a mid/light blue jeans for now, and wait till I really need them (post-summer) to wrry about my much-wanted indigo staples.
    Too many decisions, too fussy, too close to my jeans shopping trip (in the morning)... and I thought I was organised!

Fashionisto
    Also, back to the main question, if I got a lighter pair of blue jean (light to mid blue)... would these go with the tan loafers?!

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Also, back to the main question, if I got a lighter pair of blue jean (light to mid blue)... would these go with the tan loafers?!
    Don't see why not.

For the colouring sure why not but i'm personally not a big fan of loafers (or any leather shoe) with jeans.

Fashionisto
    you were right, Perry. The problem was with the jeans.
    Now, finally, I've found my perfect fitting/feeling jeans. Nudie Grim Tims. Absolutely love 'em.
    Got a 'used indigo' and a black-ish pair. And i'll be getting more colours as and when finances/seasons dictates.
    I did get some chinos from Next actually, fitted the bill, stone-coloured, soft cotton, decent fit. But I'm taking them back, cos I know I'll never wear 'em.
    I did try, but it turns out I'm just not a chino kinda guy.

Fashionisto
    Glad it worked out mate, chinos might not be for everyone but at least you found a couple of jeans you're happy to wear them with!

+ Reply to Thread