FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Sixth Form Style?

I'm currently in year 13 (upper sixth) and starting really to get into clothing. Before we start, cost is obviously a problem (as I'm a student) but I'm quite happy to save up a for a while to buy some good quality clothing. Actually, I'd prefer to buy quality fabric over poor quality primark crap

My 'style' so far:
    - Blond hair, blue eyes, tall and slim with quite broad shoulders (highstreet brands like H&M's shirts wont fit me). Slightly long neck and have the potential to look lanky in the wrong clothes but can look quite athletic in the correct clothes.
    - I'd love to wear blazers/tweed but I feel I'm too young for it all
    - I enjoy wearing bright, solid colours, polos shirts are preferred over tee's
    - I'd also like to wear patterned tee's over the summer but I don't feel I could pull it off with the blond hair/blue eyes
    - Accessories like bracelets and bright colourful socks are great
    - I have a *very* limited selection of shoes (my trusty old sambas)
    - Colours that I find work well on me: Dark and medium blues, bright reds, black, burgandy/wine. White and greens I've worn so far don't work.

If anything, I'd like to expand my shoes and vary the textures in my wardrobe. Phahahah I'm sorry if I sound up my own arse, it's not meant to be like that at all, I'm just trying to give you as much information as possible!

Please remember in 17 so some items are totally ruled out, any ideas?

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecrumpet View Post
    - I'd also like to wear patterned tee's over the summer but I don't feel I could pull it off with the blond hair/blue eyes

Huh??!

If you don't want to go too smart at a young age, then go for solid casual items. Varsity jacket, untucked slim Oxford, black skinnies, some jack purcells.

Just don't rule anything out. You're young so experiment and have fun with it.

Trend Setter
    Learn the joys of charity and budget shopping.

Agreed with the 'wtf' at why having blonde hair and blue eyes would rule out patterned shirts. Sounds like it's your level of confidence more in that area, as that's what print is more often about.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecrumpet View Post
    - I'd love to wear blazers/tweed but I feel I'm too young for it all
    If there's one thing I learnt from my college days (and I didn't learn much at all) it's not to give a crap about conforming to stereotypes. I followed every trend I could afford to while at college and it never did my self confidence any good. It was only in my late 20s that I started wearing clothes for me. Had I done this years earlier I'm sure I would have had a lot more fun!

Seriously, if you want to wear a blazer, wear a blazer. College is a great time for experimenting; grab that chance with both hands. Don't be the kid in a Superdry hoody like everyone else. You'll be forgotten in an instant. Dress with some character.

Here endeth the life lesson from the old f**k.

Yeah I think you guys are right about the patterns stuff, I hadn't really thought about it and I think I've been putting it off by making up excuses. I think I'll go and grab some today, along with a slim white oxford and maybe I'll go try a blazer on too.

Totally agree with the above post, I think it's going to take some balls but it's going to be worth it after the initial few days are over. I guess if you know it looks good and you feel it looks good, that'll rub off onto other people.

Now another question has came from this; which charity shops do I buy from? I swear all the ones near where I live sell almost exclusively 50 year old+ clothes or size xxxl's.

Trend Setter
    charity shopping is great although your success rate is always gonna be fairly low. Every time I go to town I look round at least 8-9 different shops and most of the time I will return empty handed. On the odd occasion you do get something it is usually at a great price, just last month I got a great pair of brown brogues for 7 pounds with essentially no wear and a halfway decent label. The other thing to take into account while looking around is the prospect of tailoring, often the old fashioned cuts of certain items can be altered for not much money.

If you're struggling to find anything in charity shops try shops that are listed as vintage. For the most part these are very similar offering cheaper alternatives to the high street. They arent as cheap as charity shops but in my experience what they stock is more thoughtfully selected and more likely to appeal

Trend Setter
    Charity shop quality really depends on the area you're looking in. I used to live in a slightly rough, hipster area in Bristol. Obviously the charity shops didn't get a great deal of decent clothing and the good stuff they did get in was snapped up straight away.

I can certainly recommend a tour of the London charity shops (particularly those in nice areas). I've bought some cracking branded stuff from there for a fraction of sale / eBay prices (it's unusual NOT to see Gieves and Hawkes, Daks, Aquascutum, TM Lewin, GAP, Ralph Lauren and the like on a trip). There's a guide to some of them here. I particularly recommend the couple just off Marylebone High Street and the Oxfam on Drury Lane.

Thanks for all the awesome advice. Following from the slight lack of confidence in what I wear I went 'riske' and bought a denim jacket and I absolutely love it. It might not sound that crazy (wearing a jean jacket) but where I live, wearing anything like that (in the school) is making a big statement.
    You's are all class, thanks for all the great input.

+ Reply to Thread