FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Hat recommendation

I'm looking for a hat/cap to keep my head from burning on top during the summer. I'm 38 and have quite a small head, so bear this in mind when recommending something suitable. Links / pics would be ideal thanks.

Style Icon
    There's lots of types of hats you can wear in summer - straw hats, lightweight trilbys, lightweight newsboy caps, fedoras, panama hats, baseball caps.. it really depends on what you're after.

The important thing - especially if you have an abnormal sized head - is to make sure the cap fits and that generally means going to a proper hat supplier. There's a great guide to measuring your head size here;

Hat size guide from Village Hats

I'm only joking about the abnormal head size btw - head sizes vary quite a bit and hats come in every size to suit, just as all other clothing items do. A lot of clothing shops will stock a "one size" hat but they never fit me - I wear a "large", unless it's something like a beanie.

My favourite summer hat would be a Trilby or Pork Pie hat, but you really have to go & try different hats on to see what you like most and probably more importantly, what suits you best.

Fashionisto
    Good advice thanks. Trilby's and Pork pie hats don't tend to suit me that well but maybe not found the right fit. I quite like look of baker boy or flat cap but they're not v summery are they!?

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickswolves View Post
    Good advice thanks. Trilby's and Pork pie hats don't tend to suit me that well but maybe not found the right fit. I quite like look of baker boy or flat cap but they're not v summery are they!?
    They do look great, but they wouldn't be very summery, no. I have a silk one which is fine for a chilly summer evening and you can get them in linen too, but I tend not to wear it too often in summer as these type of hats go better with winter clothes - especially with an overcoat. I normally wear a beanie if I'm out on a cold night - it goes better with a denim or leather jacket.

Though the silk ones - even though they are lightweight are great for autumn and even winter as the woolen ones tend to be quite heavy. Just looking at the sizes there again - I'm actually an XL in hat size. Now, that is abnormal.

Stetsons are a really good brand though: Stetson Hats Hatteras Silk Newsboy Cap - Navy from Village Hats.

Fashionisto
    That'sa great site, thanks for the link! I'd be a medium going by the size guide on there so maybe not that abnormal after all. Nice they have specific sizes as many high street shop hats are one size fits all. Quite like the army style hats in olive....hmm!

Trend Setter
    wrt whether you think you suit a hat, i believe it is just a matter of getting used to seeing yourself (and other people seeing you) wearing one. Once you get over that, the world of hat-dom becomes your oyster.

I have a friend that started wearing flat caps pretty young as he was going bald. At first it seemed all rather affected, but now you don't even realise he is wearing one as they are so ingrained into his style.

Style Icon
    My love affair with hats began when I was around 10 - my first hat was a Beret which I bought after seeing Terry Hall wearing one on Top of the Pops when he was in Fun Boy Three. I'm nearly sure it was during a rendition of "Our Lips Are Sealed". I just thought he looked ultra-cool. I've been wearing hats of some form ever since.

Would definitely agree with Ulkalec - I've heard loads of people saying "hats just don't suit me" and it's not true - they simply haven't found one that suits them and fits them properly.

Beanies I find, are actually the hardest ones to get right - because they vary so much in shape, it's very difficult to find a good one, so much so that if I find one I like, I will buy multiples of the same one. I got one from All Saints two years ago & liked it so much I bought four of them. I'm on Mark 3 now. They haven't produced one that's come near it since (believe me, I've tried them!)

While that might sound a bit extreme, I had bought - and returned - around 20 beanies before I found one I liked. They were either ill-fitting, too heavy material (a common problem - some of them are made from half a sheep's back) or I simply didn't like the colour... block colours are very dull looking and a nicely mixed yarn always looks better.

Some of the Fashion Beans writers seem to have a thing about them though I'm sure that's because they just haven't found the right one yet.

Just a regular baseball cap?? One that you can adjust the size on the back with the strap. Not sure what your style is though

+ Reply to Thread