FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Another sock colour question

Up until now I've always taken a conservative approach to socks for work - blue with blue suit, grey with grey suit, etc. A year or so ago however, I bought a taupe coloured suit to wear over the summer months and have struggled since to find socks in a similar shade - often I've ended up in mid-brown socks instead.

I'm now thinking a bit more about this and pondering if I'd be better going for a complimentary colour instead of trying to match. The question is though, what would go well? I tend to wear either my brown double monks or a darker tan coloured lace up with the suit, so it wouldn't want to clash with them, and I also don't want anything too loud. Any suggestions?

Style Icon
    I've got exactly the same suit and shoes combo and have worn mustard, burgundy, pale green and pale light blue before, all look good!

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    I've got exactly the same suit and shoes combo and have worn mustard, burgundy, pale green and pale light blue before, all look good!
    Cheers. I was thinking perhaps burgundy or bottle green might work, especially with the darker shoes. I've got some light blue socks, so I'll perhaps try them too.

I think bottle green is a good recommendation adds a nice tint to the whole without dominating the outfit.

I guess it depends on how "adventurous" you are with colours, I think sock is one of the things we can be quite bold with.

I'm wearing white button down shirt, blue tie, navy pants, tan leather monk with red socks at work today. I think it looks good and inject a splash of colour in a relatively subtle way (compared to wearing a pair of red pants; and yes, I do have a pair of red pants :-P), certainly makes me stand out a little among a sea of black/grey/navy sock wearing gentlemen.

Fashionisto
    If you want to be conservative, match socks to shoe colour. Ignore any "rules" about only ever matching to trouser colour or whatever else is floating round the internet at this moment in time.

Otherwise the suggestions by Creed are great for going down a more outgoing path.

I'm mostly casual dresser (still student) and like to experiment with my sock choices. Imo, socks are a nice way to adding some colour to your looks and trying season's trend colours or patterns for example. They divide opinions however, I've gotten a lot of compliments that my socks look cool and funky, but on the other hand some people simply loathe them. Wuoldn't wear them with formal wear tho...

E: About the sock colours, I've found that green (darker), burgundy and mustard work quite well in the department, but that of course depends on trouser choice.
    Last edited by Anjuna; 19-06-2014 at 08:38 AM.

+ Reply to Thread