FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Black Tie - PANIC

I have suddenly found out that I am attending Glyndebourne this weekend and dress code is black tie.

I recently threw away my old one as it was ill-fitting and, frankly, awful.

I'm reluctant to hire one from Moss Bros as they look pretty tired and why spend 100 hiring when I could buy a decent one for a few times more with a decade of use perhaps?

So, my question: Where should I look to either hire a decent one (in London) or buy a great, but reasonably-priced black tie set by Saturday?

This set here looks promising and I'm a big fan of Suit Supply: Smoking Black Plain - Complete set | Suitsupply Onlineshop

HELP!

Style Icon
    If you've 500 quid to spare, then go for it.

If you want a budget option, you can buy a full tux (suit, shirt & bow tie) from Johnny Tuxedo for pretty much the same price as you'd hire one...

Complete Outfit

Trend Setter
    Lot of money to drop on something you wouldn't have otherwise bought. M&S are another decent budget option and you know they'll have your size.

Fashionisto
    Another vote for M&S.
    All spelling errors & missing characters brought to you courtesy of Toshiba's Satellite keyboard.

Trend Setter
    The suit supply dinner suit looks pretty good. I have no experience of them personally but, if you do and you like them, that sounds like a good option.

For a cheaper option still, try T M Lewin. Their suits are good value, in my experience. They are well made and tend to fit well. My only issue with their suits is that the soft cloth can wear out quicker than on many suits. Hopefully with a dinner jacket, that doesn't as much wear, that's not a big issue. They have two currently at 249 and 199 - Men's Suits | Business & Wedding Suits | T.M.Lewin

M&S strike me as being of variable quality but I wouldn't rule them out as a budget option.

If you have the chance and the time, don't neglect the option of going for vintage. Dinner suits get little wear and - particularly in the past - were much better made. There are some real gems out there for very little that with a little love and tailoring adjustments would look great.

As ever, The Black Tie Guide website is very helpful in what to look for in a classic dinner jacket that will last you for years.

Thanks all. As it turns out, and though Suit Supply did atually have one available for me in my size, I discovered that I could get away with a suit after all. So it gives me some time to really look into getting a good one to avoid this panic next time.

Great to know about Johnny Tuxedo. Never heard of them. And TM Lewin/M&S were great options too.

I'd like to get a decent one as I'll probably use it 2-3 times per year, and a good one will last 5-10 years (bar my fattening up!).

Thanks again all!

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    If you've 500 quid to spare, then go for it.

If you want a budget option, you can buy a full tux (suit, shirt & bow tie) from Johnny Tuxedo for pretty much the same price as you'd hire one...

Complete Outfit
    @Dorian - you had any experience with this personally? I've just bought this for a ball on Friday. Hoping the fit & quality is as good as the price. Sceptical but short on time.

Will post the results if it's any good. I don't believe I've ever seen a black tie fit pic on WAYWT!

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Acoustic1 View Post
    @Dorian - you had any experience with this personally?
    None at all. I was going to get one last Christmas for a black tie wedding, but found another one in the meantime in a River Island sale for fifty quid. I didn't want to shell out any more than I had to, so it did the trick. It actually wasn't a bad suit - skinny fit. Wore it with black Chelsea boots and a bow tie with feathers that I picked up from ASOS.

Let me know how you get on with it - would be interested to know what they are like.
    Last edited by DorianGrape; 15-06-2014 at 09:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread