FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Austin Reed

Guys

Could I gather some opinions on Austin Reed?

I've not bought from them before but they have just opened an outlet store close to where I live.

How do you find the quality and fit? I notice they have two royal warrants which is usually a good sign but I trust you guys more than the royal family haha.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Martins View Post
    Guys

Could I gather some opinions on Austin Reed?

I've not bought from them before but they have just opened an outlet store close to where I live.

How do you find the quality and fit? I notice they have two royal warrants which is usually a good sign but I trust you guys more than the royal family haha.
    I used to work in a shop selling Austin Reed alongside DAKS, Jaeger, Aquascutum and the like. IMHO the suits are decent quality, reasonably well priced, though I would say (back then) the styles were always a couple of years behind the curve. If you find one you like then go for it. I'd recommend also having a look at Suit Supply, Reiss and Daks if you're looking for a suit in that price bracket though.

Trend Setter
    My work shirts are from AR. I'm impressed with the quality, they still feel soft and like new, after many many wears/washes.
    The fit is definitely old school though, I had to get their 'super slim' fit in my usual neck size, and even then there's still a little gather at the bottom after tucking in. Not much at all.
    I get them when they have a sale on. Last time I got 3 for 2 plus my shirts were on sale 60-down-to-40 (so saved 100 on a 3-shirt buy!)
    Deffo go into a store and try stuff on for fit, before buying.
    But the quality-to-price ratio is about right

Fashionisto
    I recently bought a navy Austin Reed 'Cut' range suit in the sale down from 500 to 280 and the quality is excellent. I took it to my local tailor and he was v impressed with it for the money too. Would definitely buy another.

Trend Setter
    Generally good, I think. I presume you are talking about their suits.

The normal caveats about always trying things on apply. That said, they are well constructed and reasonably priced. The material seem hard wearing on the suits I've bought from them and my work suits tend to get a lot of wear.

In terms of cut, it tends to the traditional but is classic in the better sense of the word (well proportioned and unfussy) rather than as a euphemism for old fashioned. They have recently added lines with a much more contemporary edge - their 'Cut' line, for instance, is worth checking out with a narrow silhouette, slim lapels and a very clean and straight chest.

Value-wise they are decent too - never excessively expensive and with some excellent bargains in the sales.

+ Reply to Thread