FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Your opinions on smart(er) jeans....

Hello chaps

Being a mostly chino and tailored trousers kind of guy I haven't really had the need to wear my collection of jeans. Thing is I'm considering a new pair of Nudie Jeans, to go with a mostly smart casual ensemble of oxford shirts, brogues, double monks and blazers either for work or just going out for dinner.

I can't decide between their skinny fits or slim- I know the common rule is go for slim as it will work in most contexts, however I have fairly slim legs so depending on the fit maybe could get away with skinny which would also look epic with trainers, loafers etc?

What's your thoughts on this? Any to try?

Thanks guys!

It really depends, for your needs I wuold pick a slim, tapered basic indigo denim with minimal detailing. Nudie's jeans has pretty distinguishable back pocket stitchings and personally I think they are more for casual wear. Of course you cuold always undo the stitchings, but idk, give us some example of the look you're going for.

(But now that we're at it, thin finn and grim tim are probably the most favourite fits from nudie, so I wuold start from there (thin finn being skinnier))

Des

Trend Setter
    You can get Nudies without contrast stitching or pocket detail but everything about the little written logo is casual, as is the comically low yoke on the TFs.

Just came back from dinner (crossover pic from wayw thread). Allow the wool jumper and boots. It was al fresco on the seafront
    It might look a bit mismatched as I tried to balance the white shirt from looking too formal.
    Nudie Jeans Co Thin Finn (Organic Dry Dark Grey) | Oi Polloi

Last edited by Des; 14-07-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Trend Setter
    I feel the Thin Finns are too low on the waist and quite skinny. I own them and could not pull them off comfortably as smart casual and I am a trouser/chino guy myself.
    I end up pulling them (the TF's) up every 5 mins, and as Des said in the WAYWT thread, it cuts in to your crotch.
    If I knew what I knew now, I would re-think that particular pair, but as casual goes, they are a good pair of jeans, just an obvious low waist.
    I couldnt comment on a good pair of smart jeans, as I have bought quite a few and never really liked the outcome.
    I guess i just prefer a chino or trouser.

Trend Setter
    Here's another (more expensive) alternative you might condider. I've heard good things about the Acne Max Stay Cash. Maybe they could strike the perfect balance of being a s smart pair of jeans?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I couldnt comment on a good pair of smart jeans, as I have bought quite a few and never really liked the outcome.
    I guess i just prefer a chino or trouser.
    This. I have also given up denim for smarter looks, it just works so much better when you do it casual.

Fashionisto
    Des- thanks for the info, totally agree.

James- I'm still yet to find a pair of jeans that really work well for smart casual- I was really looking for a heavyweight alternative to chinos for winter (even though I have some heavyweight pairs).

Malti- I will have a look at those and maybe give them a try.

Trend Setter
    I have had a similar prob finding smarter jeans. I have pairs of Nudie Thin Finn, Grim Tim and Slim Jim's. Agree with what has been said above about TF, and I actually never wear mine anymore. I also find Grim Tim's too skinny and too low rise for smarter looks. Slim Jim I found too loose and had tapered. However, I am still not totally happy with them as a smarter jean. It's getting the right combination of slim/not skinny/not loose fit and the right rise to wear with a blazer that I think is hard.

I have been thinking about trying a pair of APC New Standard's. Any other posters have any experience?
    See fit guide here: End Clothing Breaks Down the Fit of A.P.C Denim | Complex

Trend Setter
    ^I wouldn't consider APCs as smart as they'll fade like crazy since they're raw denim.

Trend Setter
    I guess I hadn't thought about that. But my Nudies are all raw and they have not faded that bad. Even these very prices Suit Supply jeans are raw denim: Blue Jeans By Baldwin B546 | Suitsupply Online Store

+ Reply to Thread