FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Wedding suit - dress down - OCBD and knitted tie?

Hello. I'm putting together an outfit for a summer wedding. I'm looking for something a bit more relaxed than the formal Navy/Grey suits that I have to wear to work every day - and that I'm guessing everyone else at the wedding will have on. But to justify the expense I'm also having to get a suit that I can also get away with in work (with more formal shoes/shirt/tie) but dress it down as much as I can get away with. The wedding is at a castle and will be with a relatively traditional bunch, so not sure I can go as far as no socks, rolled up trousers, no tie etc. So I'm going for a brighter shade of blue suit than normal, and then dress it down. To do this, I was thinking beige or mid-brown shoes (loafers, boat shoes or brogues - not sure yet), with a braided leather belt, beige knitted tie and white linen/oxford shirt. My question then is whether this mix would go with a button down OCBD, or I should get a non button-down collar? Any thoughts or links to ideas/images greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul.

Nat

Style Icon
    Hmmmm.... imo boat shoes and OCBD might work with a blazer/chino combo, but not a full suit. So I would take it one of two ways - either wear a more casual separates combo, or go with the suit, but perhaps consider loafers, an open-necked shirt, and a bright pocket square.

If the people you're with are very conservative, then they probably won't like either of these options. But I reckon trying to do a mish-mash of the two just won't work. If you must wear a tie, then yeah, knitted one would look good.

Trend Setter
    Don't go for boat shoes with a suit- too informal.

If you do get a brighter blue suit some loafers in high shine oxblood leather would look sick, especially sock less.

I think a brighter blue suit would not be a good investment either. Although it's this years trend for brighter blue blazers you aren't going to get much use from a brighter blue suit in a very formal office and by next year you may get no use from it at all when it falls out of fashion. Separates seem the best option to me and can be very smart with the correct tailored trousers and blazer, I would also pair with the above loafers sock less for a summer take on the look.

Trend Setter
    Button down collars can, of course, go with ties but don't always look that great. Make sure that the collar is one that is not pulled out straight by buttoning it down - they look better when there is a slight roll to the collar.
    Cary Grant's collar has such a roll here, you can see.

The other thing to be borne in mind is that this is a look that has never caught on outside America with a suit. It is better with more informal separate jackets and trousers. I would tend to go for a shirt without a button down collar, myself. How about one with a pattern - a check or a houndstooth, perhaps? That would make the look more informal.

You could try other collar styles - rounded club collar or a tab collar or just a normal but soft collar - on your shirt that might help to change the look.

I too would avoid boat shoes. Brogues or loafers would be fine though.

+ Reply to Thread