FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

t-shirt length

I have observed that t-shirt lengths always(regardless the brand...at least the ones I am aware of) are long enough to go below the hips...

Why manufacturers do them like that?

So you can have the option to tuck in?

I do not want to tuck in my t-shirts...still though I do not want them to be long.

Style Icon
    I'm a bit confused! Are you saying that standard length tees are too long for you?

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    I'm a bit confused! Are you saying that standard length tees are too long for you?
    before answering, I would like to ask when you say "standard length" what exactly do you mean.

Style Icon
    It all depends on your height I guess, I'm only 5'6"but to be honest I have found quite a few that do not go below my hips (Topman, zara, asos). Fitted t shirts tend to be shorter. If they are too long, and you can't find a brand that will fit your frame, you can take it to a tailors to be shortened, it won't cost too much.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    It all depends on your height I guess, I'm only 5'6"but to be honest I have found quite a few that do not go below my hips (Topman, zara, asos). Fitted t shirts tend to be shorter. If they are too long, and you can't find a brand that will fit your frame, you can take it to a tailors to be shortened, it won't cost too much.
    First of all,thanks for answering.

The t-shirts I am referring to are Nike,Columbia,I have bought them in medium,I am afraid that even if I buy them in small,there still going to be lengthy,probably cause that how the manufacturer wants them to be.Of course they are not t-shirts with classic meaning of the term and that is why maybe they are so long in length.

So,going to a tailor probably is the only option I got.

I could of course try other brand but I really like them,especially Nike.

The question is if shortening the t-shirts implies removal of the hem(something I would like to avoid) and if there is any danger damaging them.

And again,thanks.

Style Icon
    Ahh right Nike, yes these are long. They tend to cut them in the basketball playing XXXXXXXXXXL cut for pretty much everything. Shortening them won't damage the item but the only problem would be either logos and labels towards the bottom might get chopped off, or if the t shirt has a pattern or design which is printed quite low, it could end up looking out of place.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by fashontrooper55 View Post
    before answering, I would like to ask when you say "standard length" what exactly do you mean.
    By standard length, something like a polo shirt that sits a bit below the belt line. Oversized tees or the likes of Nike are made to be longer and can go down past your ass cheeks. Either way, I definitely would never tuck in a tee shirt.

Des

Trend Setter
    Might just have to change your brand, bro
    t-shirt and good fit

Either way, I definitely would never tuck in a tee shirt.
    That absolutely sounds like an upcoming trend. Like we'd have never done the top button of a casual shirt..

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post

That absolutely sounds like an upcoming trend. Like we'd have never done the top button of a casual shirt..
    As long as high-waisted flares don't come back into fashion, I'm happy.

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Ahh right Nike, yes these are long. They tend to cut them in the basketball playing XXXXXXXXXXL cut for pretty much everything. Shortening them won't damage the item but the only problem would be either logos and labels towards the bottom might get chopped off, or if the t shirt has a pattern or design which is printed quite low, it could end up looking out of place.
    Fortunately in my t-shirts I have nothing towards the bottom.

Does shortening mean that they will no longer have a hem?Since they will have to be cut.

By standard length, something like a polo shirt that sits a bit below the belt line. Oversized tees or the likes of Nike are made to be longer and can go down past your ass cheeks. Either way, I definitely would never tuck in a tee shirt.
    Yes,you are clear about "standard length".

Why you would never tuck in a tee shirt?
    If I won't shorten them I will have to wear them tucked in.

+ Reply to Thread