FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

white washing...

Hello All,

Any tips for washing white's which may have gone a little 'off' white.

I usually wash everything at 40 and below (for the environment), but my white cotton shirts are now loosing their lusture. I dont wanna just stick them on a 100 wash, or even throw in some bleach, in case i ruin them.

So any tips? - preferred washing powders/liquids/settings...

Style Icon
    I've absolutely no idea - the missus does all the washing.

Trend Setter
    how much to post a couple of shirts to the emerald isle?

Style Icon
    Firstly, soak them overnight in either normal washing powder, or better still an oxy-type washing additive like oxy clean powder. - Tesco Oxi Powder Whites 500G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Then put them in a 60 degree wash with a couple of colour catchers - Dylon Colour Catcher 24 Sheets - Groceries - Tesco Groceries
    The colour catchers will collect any dyes and dirt which are discolouring the clothes

Then, put them in the wash again using a fabric whitener like this - Dr Beckmann Glowhite 3 Sheet - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

I guarantee you'll have the whitest clothes possible!

When ironing, make sure you have cleaned the surface of your iron. Over time, the surface collects a yellow brown film and this will transfer onto your clothes if you iron them whilst damp.

Trend Setter
    Thanks Creed, that is a lot of process for doriangrape's better half to follow for me.
    As for the ironing tips, here is mine - buy metal plated iron, not ceramic. Get some fine sand-paper. Now once a week, give that plate a good little run down with the sand paper, removing any crud or melted fabric which may have built up. This keeps your iron running smooooove.... Lots of things are worse than a sticky iron, though you won't be able to think of many at 6am on a Monday morning as you fuck up your clothes...

Trend Setter
    I second Creed's recommendation for Dr Beckmann's Glowhite. It works at lower temperatures and really does restore white shirts to something approaching their former glory.

Style Icon
    I'm slightly concerned after reading this thread our the iron is not being properly looked after, though having never really looked at it, I can't tell for sure. I'll get her to check this out when I get home. I've also printed off Creed's washing tips - it's our wedding anniversary today, so it'll make a nice surprise present. I was thinking of getting some sandpaper too but I don't want to spoil her.

DAB

Another option, and possibly a cheaper one is to use Bicabonate of Soda. Chuck half a cup full in with your normal laundry gel / tablet etc and it should do the trick. Loads of ways of using it online as well, such as making up a solution to soak your whites in over night etc. Worth a look....

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post
    I'm slightly concerned after reading this thread our the iron is not being properly looked after, though having never really looked at it, I can't tell for sure. I'll get her to check this out when I get home. I've also printed off Creed's washing tips - it's our wedding anniversary today, so it'll make a nice surprise present. I was thinking of getting some sandpaper too but I don't want to spoil her.
    Good luck mate

+ Reply to Thread