FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    Hod

Advice for a novice

Hello,

I'm just starting to get interested in fashion.
    I've been collecting fashion inspiration pictures.
    I'm seeing outfits that i'd like to have, but i have
    no idea where to begin.

I don't feel comfortable enough with my level of
    knowledge to buy random items. I want to buy
    clothes with a certain outfit in mind.

Also, i'd like understand how to define the
    style that i'm interested in. Here are some of
    the images i've bookmarked on my pinterest
    board: Style on Pinterest

If anyone has any input for me, it
    would be much appreciated.

We well
    Nick

Hey I've not much to say since I'm only just starting to feeling like I look good I what I wear but have you read the fashionbeans style basics pages I found them really helpful.

My advice would be to buy basics like plain tees and plain shirts. Then once you feel comfortable try something that's out of your comfort zone.

It's all trial and error. If an item of clothing doesn't look good with another piece, that doesn't mean it won't go perfect with another. (only on rare occasions)

My opinion anyway. Always start with basics.

Trend Setter
    my number 1 tip:Buy a measuring tape. Something like this should suffice. Best 65p you may ever spend Yellow Tailoring Tape Measure 60 inch / 150cm - 19mm wide: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

And learn how sizing works, how to measure both yourself and your clothes. For example, if you are a 39 chest - go for a medium the majority of the time. If you want a snugger fit, you could probably get away with most smalls as they tend to be around 39 chest to fit those with 36-38inch. For a 40 it'd be a no-brainer, go for medium. For a 38, go small. Take the measuring tape to a shop. I've discovered of late that in most shops I am a 30 inch waist, because they tend to actually measure 32 and a bit. Take it into changing rooms and clue up on how your clothes are really proportioned.But those aren't hard and fast rules.

Take advantage of sites that show exact measurements. MrPorter's great for that, for example, and ASOS have started to up their game (although, admittedly, more for their own brand - but that's a LOT of clothes that have accurate measurements). Look for anything with 'fit visualiser', or size guides that give ACTUAL clothing measurements.

Take advantage of free returns policies, too. There's actually quite a satisfying feeling to sending clothes back, getting the refund and then being able to either say 'no more', or to spend it on something else. Which is why I'd also recommend to focus on accessories, which tend not to alter with sizes and can really make your outfit (and your life a whole lot easier - umbrellas, bags for example). Then it's about the size of the bag you want that comes in.

For fashion pics I'd recommend MrPorter. Nearly every item they have is put together in an outfit. Their youtube channel is pretty great too. Best thing is, all of this is free!
    Last edited by McCoy; 23-07-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Yes, I agree with JoshPW. Try to experiment with some new types of clothes

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hod View Post
    Hello,

I'm just starting to get interested in fashion.
    I've been collecting fashion inspiration pictures.
    I'm seeing outfits that i'd like to have, but i have
    no idea where to begin.

I don't feel comfortable enough with my level of
    knowledge to buy random items. I want to buy
    clothes with a certain outfit in mind.

Also, i'd like understand how to define the
    style that i'm interested in. Here are some of
    the images i've bookmarked on my pinterest
    board: Style on Pinterest

If anyone has any input for me, it
    would be much appreciated.

We well
    Nick

I've had a look at your Pintrest page - I think you have a good eye for both style and colour... a lot of cool outfits there, simple, clean & effective. The colour palette is very muted with blacks, whites and blues. Really, you shouldn't find it too hard to put something like these into practice.

My advice would be to forget about trying to "define the style"... try and put together a few outfits based around the ones you have collected. With that colour range, a lot of the stuff you buy should be easy to mix & match to form different fits. Pretty soon, you will have defined your own style.

You've already picked the brands and designers - Zara, Kooples, YSL, Owens etc... it really comes down to budget then whether you shop from the high street or high end.

Best of luck!

+ Reply to Thread