FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Wedding Reception Advice

Hi, I'm relatively new to fashion. I wouldn't say I was ever the worst dressed person but certainly wasn't the best. I've recently finished the fashion basics articles and have learned so much.

I have a wedding reception on the 31st of August at a hotel and would like some advice.

I was thinking of wearing beige coloured trousers with a white shirt and navy blazer with brown shoes. My questions are:

Would this look be a good start?
    Tie or no tie and if so would pink be a good choice?
    What type of shoes?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

FashionBeans Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by DamienJ View Post
    I was thinking of wearing beige coloured trousers with a white shirt and navy blazer with brown shoes. My questions are:

Sounds fine.

Definitely wear a tie - it's a formal occassion. You can always ditch it later in the evening after the formal bit is out of the way.

Not sure about pink with that combo though. Red or even orange would look good though.

What type of shoes?
    Can't go wrong with derbies or even some monks.

On a side note, I was at two wedding in England in the last few years - they're fairly tame affairs compared to Irish weddings. At my own wedding, we'd decks going in the residents bar until 6am, so I was expecting them to go on into the early hours of the morning, but at both of them, the bar shut before mid-night and we'd to head into the local village. I wasn't too impressed.

Trend Setter
    I have a wedding reception on the 31st of August at a hotel and would like some advice.

What type of shoes?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
    It's the most often repeated piece of advice you'll get but also the best: if you are unsure what to wear to a wedding ask your hosts. It is their celebration and they set the tone for it.

Ideally they should give some clue as to what is expected of you. If not, you can always ask either them or - if you know him - the best man. It is worth pointing out that city weddings tend to be a little more formal in terms of dress code than country weddings and bear in mind that, at most weddings, a suit is generally worn by most men. That said, smart blazer and trouser combination at a summer country wedding shouldn't be out of place.

Trend Setter
    Wear a tie if you're attending during the day. Pink sounds like it would work with the outfit you've described, but it depends on the shade of the tie vs the different shades of the clothing you're wearing.

Not having a go at you personally mate but people make these threads and ask questions like 'should I wear x with y' etc - you can only possibly receive generic advice (navy looks good with green, go with that etc) if pictures aren't posted. That's why fashion mags are 95% pictures, they bring outfits to life. If you already own any of the clothes you have mentioned, post them (preferably how you would wear them on the day). If not, show us some pictures of what you are planning to buy.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with what I posted except I went for a red tie instead of pink. It's a fairly standard wedding not to formal and obviously not casual either so I reckon it will be fine. I agree that look books are definitely the way to go when looking for advice and inspiration. Would you recommend any particular sites on top of this one for them?

P.S The trousers I got are linen, the fit is really perfect and they were in a sale but I am always wary of linen because of how easily it creases.
    Last edited by DamienJ; 31-07-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Added extra

Trend Setter
    Get yourself a Tumblr and follow the likes of Tommy Ton, Suave By Nature and Men With Class Community (amongst many, many others) for quality daily looks from the smartest of suits to what folk are just generally cutting about wearing.

FashionBeans Legend

P.S The trousers I got are linen, the fit is really perfect and they were in a sale but I am always wary of linen because of how easily it creases.
    Nothing you can do about it - that's the nature of linen... personally it wouldn't bother me, but creased clothes drive some people nuts.

+ Reply to Thread