FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Are men still afraid of experimenting with bright colours?

I love wearing bright colours but so many do not seem keen on colours preferring neutral colours. I am not referring to dressing like a clown with bright colours all over but surely brights can be mixed with neutrals to develop a decent looking oufit.

Not sure if men as a whole are afraid, but I very rarely wear bright colours. My wardrobe is pretty neutral with the usual black, white, navy and grey, but I do have the odd mustard yellow tee which makes for a rather striking contrast piece. But as a whole I try to stick to manly hues, as in you wouldn't catch me wearing pastels but each to their own, I've seen it work on some guys so I can appreciate it. I think a healthy tan helps.

Style Icon
    I'm not afraid of bright colours - they don't suit me so I don't wear them.

Trend Setter
    Think it's hard to pull off. I have a pair of red trousers and that's about it other than a few more lively t-shirts. See too many men (or boys) trying hard to wear colourful clothes for the sake of it and looking ridiculous. Don't feel the need to try and pull it off when neutrals can create so many good looks.

Fashionisto
    I would be surprised if any man was actually "afraid" of bright colours. However, like me, i'd imagine that alot of men either look at a brightly coloured item and think they'd look a pratt or they see a brightly coloured item and know inherently that they don't have the confidence to pull it off.

I have a fair few brightly coloured items knocking about but it's rare I wear them as it's all about how confident I feel at the time. If i'm feeling super confident and ballsy then i'll put on the more brightly coloured stuff. If i'm feeling a bit crappy or a bit 'meh' then the neutral/darker colours go on.

For example, at the moment I am avoiding my brighter clothes like the plague because I broke my ankle & tore the ligaments a couple of months ago and i'm waiting for surgery to repair the ligaments. Unfortunately that means that i've put on just under 1 & a half stone in weight and it's all gone to my stomach. So bright colours are a no go as I don't want to draw attention to the fact i've put on weight. However, once i've had the surgery and can get back to the gym again to lose the weight i'm sure i'll be happy to wear bright colours again.

It's the same with dating, for me. First few dates i'm Captain Neutral, as bright colours aren't to everyone's taste. Later on I add in a splash of colour. Whereas I have friends who go for the full on Peacock effect with, what to me is, some outrageously coloured clothes. However they are confident and that helps them pull it off.
    Last edited by NJT1986; 07-08-2014 at 01:58 PM.

Style Icon
    I doubt anyone is "afraid" of bright colours, but I agree that men generally dress in too little colours. Too much black, grey and blue.

The gentleman wardrobe is always encouraged to be versatile, and bright colours are rarely versatile. They require the right complementary colours to not look odd. Muted or earthy colours are easier to mix into a versatile wardrobe. I think men work more with patterns and texture than colour.

Personally, I try to add some colour to my outfits, but rarely anything exceptionally bright - unless it's an accessory.

I have quite a lot of bright things, but do mainly tend to stick to the subtler shades.

I have a quite garish red, white and blue hoodie which is nice just to throw on for chilling or wear to a gig / casual night out.

I also have some outrageously bight orange nikes which are fun to wear to raves etc.

I am naturally drawn to things which are visually interesting. These are always the things that get the most comments as well. Although overall, I do think a subtle, well put together fit is the most versatile and effective way to dress.

With things that are a bit more outrageous, you have to be comfortable that people will either love them or hate them. If I like something, I generally won't be too worried what others think, and inevitably I find the good comments outweigh the bad ones.

Trend Setter
    As many have said I own a fair amount of colourful clothes, I just look better and ultimately feel more comfortable in neutrals. Dressing out of your comfort zone and owning it is never a bad thing though.

Trend Setter
    Navy is my favourite colour. I don't own much black stuff at all bar a pair of jeans and a couple of polos. Oh and a jumper maybe. Shoes.

My wardrobe consists of mainly colours. Love sage green and lemon drizzle (wooo). Can't beat a nice vibrant burgundy. Pink, turquoise. I'm not kidding either, I'll post my wardrobe in the wardrobe thread.

It not so much bright colors that are the issue for men. It's that men need to wear colors that complement their skin and either many don't know that or they do and they're afraid something doesn't work. Different bright colors work on different shades of skin.

+ Reply to Thread