FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Beach wedding attire

Hi

I'm after some advice from you style-minded folks.

My fiancé and I are having a beach wedding and I'm struggling with finding an outfit. I would obviously like to wear a suit, with linen seemingly the ideal choice given 30+ degree temp. Having looked through various beach wedding pics on google a natural/beige colour with a white shirt seems like a good option.

So firstly, where might I be able to get a good linen suit with a view to having a tailor make any adjustments? I'm open to bespoke but it does seem like a large outlay for a suit that will rarely be worn again. A friend mentioned 'ASuitThatFits' do reasonably priced suits, but having looked at their website a lot of their pics show people in (to my eye, at least) quite poorly fitted suits. If this is the best example of their work it is a little offputting. Any other suggestions would be great.

Another reason I would like to see some off the peg linen options is to see if the colour combinations look good on me, before paying out for a custom job

Also, I have no idea what shoes I would wear???

Thanks in advance

To show you what I mean, this pic is in their wedding suit section:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/as...1244559040.jpg

Unless it's that none of them are standing properly, none of those 'bespoke' suits seem to fit very well.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
    To show you what I mean, this pic is in their wedding suit section:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/as...1244559040.jpg

Unless it's that none of them are standing properly, none of those 'bespoke' suits seem to fit very well.
    Holy crap, those suits look like shit. I'd steer well clear of that shop if I were you - I've seen better fitting tents.

Might be hard to find an off-the-peg linen suit this month as a lot of the shops are gearing up with stock for Autumn. Zara had some a while back but they're out of stock now.

Nat

Style Icon
    Criticising asuitthatfits? Creed will scratch your eyes right out....

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Criticising asuitthatfits? Creed will scratch your eyes right out....
    Judging by that photo, they have a suit that fits - it's a "one-size-fits-all" suit.

Thanks for the replies. As you say, based on the season we're in I think bespoke is my only option (need it by December). Don't know if I'm comfortable shelling out £600 to asuitthatfits if that's a good example of their work.

Anyone know any other reasonably priced bespoke options? I don't really wanna go over the £750 mark.

Thanks again

Trend Setter
    It is always worthwhile seeing if there is a tailor local to you who might be able to make you a suit. I would always want to know that I could have a fitting and adjustments with someone at some stage who I physically meet, personally.

The big advantage of finding a good tailor is that you can get the suit as you want it. Given the need to keep cool, think about asking about how you can reduce the lining, for example.

If you are looking for a RTW suit that you might want to get adjusted, normal recommendations apply as much to linen suits as to any others. I would recommend calling by at Slaters Menswear and seeing what they might have in. You might also try Austin Reed who do some linen and linen/cotton suits. It is all about trying things on and seeing what suits. Both stores do some adjustments as well.

I'd also point out that a lightweight (often called tropical weight) wool is well worthwhile bearing in mind. The general consensus is that they actually feel cooler than more obviously summer fabrics such as linen can do. Some such fabrics are very expensive, however.

Thanks, I just checked Austin Reed's website and whilst they do have linen suits, they don't have any left in my size.

I just had a look on the suitsupply website and see they have linen suits, the only issue is they look far too casual for a wedding, albeit a beach one!

Thoughts?

Suit Light Brown Plain Havana P3850 | Suitsupply Online Store
    Suit Light Grey Plain York P3843 | Suitsupply Online Store

Would an unstructured suit just look lazy? It is on a beach after all. I think I will head into town this afternoon and try a few of theirs on for fit/style

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
    Thanks, I just checked Austin Reed's website and whilst they do have linen suits, they don't have any left in my size.

I just had a look on the suitsupply website and see they have linen suits, the only issue is they look far too casual for a wedding, albeit a beach one!

Thoughts?

Suit Light Brown Plain Havana P3850 | Suitsupply Online Store
    Suit Light Grey Plain York P3843 | Suitsupply Online Store

Would an unstructured suit just look lazy? It is on a beach after all. I think I will head into town this afternoon and try a few of theirs on for fit/style
    There's nothing "lazy" about an unstructured suit. It's just a different "more European" style of tailoring, better suited (excuse the pun) to warmer weather. Ideal for a beach wedding imo. A highly structured linen suit seems like a bit of a bizarre notion.

Yeah. I guess I'm just thinking of wedding photos in years to come, with my beautiful wife in her beautiful dress, and me in a crinkled up mess haha! My fiancé does have a very lightweight beach-friendly dress though, so it will probably be fine.

+ Reply to Thread