FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Your opinion on menswear in the market.

Guys,

We are launching a new menswear in the market soon. It will similar style as G-star, True religion, Diesel etc. However the price point will be more like Crosshatch, river island etc, in other words medium price range.

Now just gathering some data on how you guys feel and what you guys really want from the menswear in the market.

As a thank you for your opinion, we will choose 20 random people from this thread (who gives some valid input) and will send a jeans, belt and t-shirt to them including postage for FREE.

So here are some questions for you guys:-

1:- What are the most important things for you when buying a bottom wear (jeans, shorts), t-shirt and jacket? Price, quality, brand name, style, how it looks, which celebrity worn it etc?

2:- How often do you buy your clothing and why? Eg, you buy it every season because you want to keep up with the latest style OR you buy it because your old clothes get damaged (like fades away, shrinks, rips etc) OR you buy it because it's on sales etc.

3:- In your opinion what should be the decent price point for a good quality shorts, jeans, t-shirt, jacket etc.

4:- What do you really wished your current clothes had? EG Better price, better fit, better style, better quality, better longevity etc.

5:- How are price point perceived by you? Do you think a higher priced clothing is better quality OR a medium range clothes can be as good quality as those top brands?

6:- How likely are you to buy a new unknown brand which had similar style and similar quality as the high end items such as Diesel, g-star etc. But costs about 20-30% cheaper than those brands?

Thanks.

M

Style Icon

1:- What are the most important things for you when buying a bottom wear (jeans, shorts), t-shirt and jacket? Price, quality, brand name, style, how it looks, which celebrity worn it etc?

As with all clothes - if I like the style, I'll try it on. If it fits, I'll check the price. If the price is acceptable to me, I'll buy it as long as the quality also matches the price, - ie., I don't mind paying more for better quality.Brands, celebrity etc mean fuck all to me. And I won't buy clothes that have big visible logos.

2:- How often do you buy your clothing and why? Eg, you buy it every season because you want to keep up with the latest style OR you buy it because your old clothes get damaged (like fades away, shrinks, rips etc) OR you buy it because it's on sales etc.
    o
    I buy clothes all year round - jeans, footwear, jackets etc I'll normally get a couple of seasons out of - everything else gets replaced seasonally. I don't buy much in the sales unless it was something I already wanted.

3:- In your opinion what should be the decent price point for a good quality shorts, jeans, t-shirt, jacket etc.

What do you mean by "decent price point "?

4:- What do you really wished your current clothes had? EG Better price, better fit, better style, better quality, better longevity etc.

The implication here is that either my clothes are crap or that I am unhappy with them.

5:- How are price point perceived by you? Do you think a higher priced clothing is better quality OR a medium range clothes can be as good quality as those top brands?

If you are doing market research, you really need to define your questions better than this - you mention medium range, top brands and high prices. As all these things are entirely subjective, the answers given will be irrelevant if you haven't defined what the question actually is.

6:- How likely are you to buy a new unknown brand which had similar style and similar quality as the high end items such as Diesel, g-star etc. But costs about 20-30% cheaper than those brands?

I wouldn't put G star in the same category as Diesel but I would buy from an unknown brand if I liked the clothes.

Trend Setter
    Don't judge me.

Firstly, I don't wear shorts, only own a couple of pairs and I paid a lot for them.

In this order:- Quality, How it looks, Price/Brand name, Style, which celebrity wore it (I do pay some attention to this).

Jeans are different to other bottom wear really. With jeans I want quality, history within the brand and with this comes the best fit that looks great. Price goes out of the window, rational window.

I'm always thinking of my next purchase(s). Constantly, to the point of annoying other people around me. I NEED some items because I WANT them right now. But, I always want a deal - even though it's nice to go to a flagship store and get your bum hole cleaned. It doesn't weigh up the feeling of loss when you see the same thing on eBay for half the price in a month.

My clothes rarely ever fade, shrink or rip because I take good care of them and have stopped climbing trees.

In my opinion, I would like to be able to buy the best quality at a really low price. However, these are the prices I would be willing to pay.

Shorts - n/a
    Jeans - 35 (up to 100+)
    T-Shirt - 30 - 50
    Jacket - what kind of jacket? I'll offer you my Mother and a weekly allowance. For the right jacket.
    Polo Shirt - 55 - 80
    Casual Shirt - 60 - 100
    Joggers (are you selling any sportswear?) - 500

Mine? In my wardrobe right now? Or do you mean clothes available to me on the market? I'm happy with all of the clothes I own, that's why I own them. I wish prices weren't so high.

Well G-Star is pretty expensive isn't it? I haven't got anything from them because, well, it's too street for me. Their clothes are too in your face, and baggy and not casual at all. Medium range clothes can definitely be better than some of the expensive trash I see on the High Street.

Probably not very because I don't like their styles already. I would obviously buy something that was the same look and quality as what I like but 20-30% cheaper.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by DorianGrape View Post

What do you mean by "decent price point "?
    What is price point? definition and meaning

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesterPerry View Post
    I know what a price point is but I don't know what it means to be asked "what should be the decent price point for a good quality shorts, jeans, t-shirt, jacket etc."

"A fiver" would be my answer, but maybe he meant - "what are you willing to pay for good quality clothes?" which would be an entirely different answer. The question could be interpreted in a myriad of ways.

The purpose of market research is to get information / feedback, but if you want specific answers then you need to ask specific questions and not badly phrased ones. It's a poorly constructed questionnaire. Some of the questions don't even end with question marks.

Trend Setter
    Oh sorry. Yeah a bit of a strange questionnaire.

I wonder when we'll get our stuff?

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesterPerry View Post

I wonder when we'll get our stuff?

I can't wait - a cheapo version of G-Star clothes is just what I've been looking for all my life.

Fit. Clothes could be of the best quality of material or be the current brand of the time but if the fit is poor, you'll never look good.

I'm always on the look out for new clothes for the current or upcoming season, it just depends on how much i let myself buy. I look after my clothes so i don't have to replace damaged clothes although some of my items have been faded through many washes. Only buy things in the sale that i have previous wanted, i hate to impulse buy just because there is a sale on as its easy to regret buying something and you'll just never wear it.

Shorts - 50-80
    Jeans - 80-100
    T Shirt - 30-60
    Leather Jacket - 250-450
    Denim Jacket - 100-150

I just sold off all my clothes which i didn't want any more so i'm pretty happy with what i have at the moment. I tend to buy for fit and quality so i don't mind paying the decent money for something i think is worth it.

Price doesn't always = quality however, i think people are attracted to the exclusivity of a higher priced brand. People like owning a item that they know that they won't see anyone else on the high street wearing so that draws customers to exclusive brands.

Not a fan of Diesel and G Star but i would be prepared to try something cheaper if the quality seemed good. I think the presentation of the website of the brand is very important as people can make instant judgements on the style and professionalism of a brand as soon as they click on their website

Fashionisto
    First off would have to say styling based on G Star, Diesel and True Religion, you're not going to get many of their fans here not generally clothes for people who are into clothes! (Diesel might be the only one that does some reasonable pieces) Plus have you not pretty well made your brand out of date before it's even started?

Fit is first and foremost, then overall styling / how it looks on, quality and lastly price. Brand name only comes into it in that I like the way certain brands cut their clothes and the quality.

All the time, just cause there's always more to get, not so much due to following specific fashions but a classic wardrobe can still add up.

Massively varies on materials used and where it's made mainly, shorts never seem worth spending any real money on t-shirts 20-30, jackets vary from 60-2000 it's too vague a question to answer really

I'm happy with them that's why I bought them

They can be as Uniqlo show but it is rare otherwise up to a point higher price and better quality do tend to go together.

Not at all likely, the unknown brand is beneficial as it's not covered in their awful branding but it's a dated style that I've never been a fan of.

The most important things I look for first and foremost is the quality of the piece of clothing. Since most of my clothes that I buy are long term investments and are timeless I need to make sure the quality of the material is good and is durable for many years to come.

Next I look for is the style of the clothes and the fit, The style needs to timeless and versatile so I get a lot of wear out of it and can interchange with my other clothes in my wardrobe. It needs to fit my body well so that I look my best.

Finally I look at the price to see whether the quality, style and fit is worth the price I pay for it. Certain things like tailored suits, leather jackets, leather shoes and denim jeans I am happy to splash out a little more for them.

I do not buy clothes too often and tend to build up my wardrobe over time as I prefer to avoid impulse purchases and secondly I am very picky on what clothes I buy. I tend to have a wishlist of what clothes I want to purchase and tick them off if I spot an item that I think would suit me. Picking up good clothes in a sale is a bonus but I would not buy on the basis that there is a sale.

Shorts <20
    Jeans 70-150
    tshirt <10
    Depends what type of jacket, hard to say

Better price

I tend to look straight at the labels first to see what the material is, i prefer 100% materials rather than blends unless they have some water proofing properties. I then touch the material to see if it has a good feel. So no higher priced clothes does not equal better quality and vice versa.

Not very likely as I tend to stick with brands that I know have good price points, quality and fit. However if the marketing was done well, there were good reviews for it on blogs, and websites like this and it is stylish then I may have a look to see whether it is worth it.

+ Reply to Thread