FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Dry Denim

Has anyone ever broken in a pair of drys? (sounds ridiculous)

How to Break-in a Pair of Dry Jeans

I like the idea of creating my own unique pair of jeans, moulded around my body. But I'm a bit of a clean freak. I do not like the idea of six months worth of farts also I have a cream leather sofa and I've read dry denim can bleed everywhere.

Thoughts?

Style Icon
    I don't really get the idea - jeans that you can't wash, the dye goes everywhere, then they lose their shape and then fall to pieces.

Seems like an odd concept at best.

i'd take a pair of stretch skinnys that you can bung in the wash to get them clean & back to shape over dry denim any day.

Des

Style Icon
    I like it. I like the idea of spending a big wad on just one quality pair seeing it through, treating them like shit and watching their appearance transform as a result of how you spend your days.
    I feel like I've wasted about 300quid on a couple of pairs that turned out too baggy and now unwearable but thinking about it now.. I think i want to give a fresh pair another go now that I know I need to size down at least 6 sizes.

I think denim bleed is always a problem unless you only buy washed jeans. Also, you can dry clean them if they get too smelly before you wash them yourself. Just ask them not to press them.
    Last edited by Des; 17-08-2014 at 12:06 AM.

Was thinking to start a similar thread, but you beat me to it. I've got my first pair of dry (raw) jeans today after getting really interested in the whole fading process. I'd prefer to have a pair of selvage denim, but as I'm a bit tight with the money these days, I went for Nudie Grim Tim Dry Navy in the sales. Planning to wear them from tomorrow and not wash them until next year. The only thing I am concerned is that I don't like wearing the same thing every day. So I guess the fading will take some time. I would be happy, if I can get a fade similar to one of these:

Grim Tim Dry Red Selvage - worn by Bryce
    Fade Friday - IndigoSkin V-Series (11 Months, 2 Soaks, 1 Wash)
    Fade Friday - Imperial Shearer (2.5 Years, 7 Washes)

Fashionisto
    I've done it and do with most of my jeans these days as long as they're regularly hung up to air it takes a long time before you notice any smell from them really. Bleed is massively variable with the brand you go for. Though it does leave you overly attached with a pair of wrecked jeans by the end!

Fashionisto
    I bought a pair of dry navy grim tims recently, and wouldn't bother with the whole 'dry' thing again.
    Not bothered about the 'smell' issue, as I rarely wash my jeans anyway... but that's cos I never wear the same thing all the time...which leads me to my main point... unless you're gonna wear them every day, or at least 'very often', then it's gonna take fookin aaaages (aka, years) before that first wash. And until then you have the hassle of them bleeding all over the place at the hint of any moisture around. Plus they're so dark and plain looking.

T4, you happy with your Dry Navys?
    I'm growing to hate mine, I didn't realise how thin the denim would be. I have 2 other pairs of grims (which I LOVE!), and they are 13'5 oz denim.
    I didn't think 12'7oz would be that much thinner, but they are. I don't really wear them now.

Fashionisto
    If the smell is a major issue you could get the N&F scratch and sniff ones!

Style Icon
    Was just reading this page... love the first comment... "ew. It's a pair of jeans you fucking freaks. Wash that fucking shit, you fucking hobos."

A Beginner's Guide to Raw Denim

Trend Setter
      I'm with Dorian... I really like to wash my clothes.

Trend Setter
      Hahaha, well I will wash everything else as normal. I'll only do this once, if at all because I'm kind of put off by this thread.

This seems like solid advice, also from the comments on the link Dorian posted...

Rule #1: Treat your raw denim like Tyson treats hookers.
      Rule #2: bathe your raw denim as though they were a homeless kid in the slums of El Salvadorian gang territory.

Prerequisite #1: Have a partner who loves you, even though you smell like said El Salvadorian homeless vagabond.
      Prerequisite #2: Don't work a desk job, or any other job that does not require Tyson-esque treatment being done to, or in, your hookerish pants. Gainful employment for great raw denim: Macguyver, James Bond, Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor, Mary Kay Laterno.
      lol

They don't sound like they're for me.

+ Reply to Thread