FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last

Trend Setter
    It's difficult to pull off but good on you for thinking about it. By all means try it, like you say worst case is someone says something which means nothing anyway! Getting the fit right would be the most important thing, followed by a subtle colour. Maybe a heavy wool version under a jacket when the weather gets cooler could work well especially with a chunky scarf, boots etc.

If your wanting to separate yourself from the masses try a blazer, smart jeans, oxford shirt and brogues- girls love a smartly dressed guy in brogues, guessing being 18 that's one of your aims.

Des

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    If your wanting to separate yourself from the masses try a blazer, smart jeans, oxford shirt and brogues- girls love a smartly dressed guy in brogues, guessing being 18 that's one of your aims.
    Times have definitely changed if a fit 18 year old girl finds that outfit attractive in a fellow teen's casual wear.

Trend Setter
    Maybe he's going on a MILF hunt.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate the help. I found two examples of styles that I like so some input would be appreciated. I do apologize for the poor quality.

http://i.imgur.com/ntTv72D.png
    http://i.imgur.com/0ibi6M3.png

Any thoughts on this? I'd probably think about removing the tie though if I did go for a style like that though.
    Kooples have a double-breasted waistcoat out this season which has been modelled with a similar style shirt, minus the tie.

It looks good on yer man, though in fairness, he is a model.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Des View Post
    Times have definitely changed if a fit 18 year old girl finds that outfit attractive in a fellow teen's casual wear.
    Haha whatever floats your boat chaps- always found brogues a good when I was that age- maybe since no one else was wearing them at the time (this being the north and 40 years behind everyone else...) jeans and oxford are overkill if your 18, thinking in hindsight.

On the subject of milfs though....

Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    It's difficult to pull off but good on you for thinking about it. By all means try it, like you say worst case is someone says something which means nothing anyway! Getting the fit right would be the most important thing, followed by a subtle colour. Maybe a heavy wool version under a jacket when the weather gets cooler could work well especially with a chunky scarf, boots etc.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! My main aim is really just to smarten up a little. I'm actually gay, so pulling the girls is the last thing on my mind! I just got tired of dressing poorly and want to step up my game.

Fashionisto
    As a waistcoat lover myself I would say go for it...but be careful as it is difficult to pull off waistcoats in a less formal look.

Trend Setter
    They look great in Westerns (particularly newer ones like The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford), films like They Will Be Blood. Think they work well if you either channel that vintage, but slim/skinny, or edgy Saint Laurent rock and roll aesthetic.

Trend Setter
    Be prepared for the 'are you off for a game of snooker' comments. Difficult to carry off regardless of age, my personal preference would be to wear them with a suit as they are intended, and even then only for specifically formal occasions.

There are more subtle ways to smarten up than just trying to incorporate a formal item into a casual outfit. Waistcoats just never look good worn in this way imo. Even dude on the Kooples site looks like a dork. You would have to absolutely nail every item to carry this off, and I'm guessing as an 18 year old you won't have the existing wardrobe or budget to make it work.

If I were you I'd get some loafers, some tailored trousers and some quality fitted basic tees / fine knits. You will look smart but not tryhard.

Your boy Ryan is the don of this style tbh

Like I say, it's more about finding the items that look smart but can be worn in a casual context. A waistcoat is out of place in a casual outfit, there's not really any way around it.

+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 ... Last